Tagosds.org Homepage crashes IE7 Beta

Post your suggestions and comments about our Website....
madZ
Website Benefactor
Website Benefactor

Tagosds.org Homepage crashes IE7 Beta

Unread post by madZ »

The homepage constantly crashes IE7 Beta. I think it is being caused by one or more JavaScripts that you are using on that page. I would suggest redesigning that page with less Java. Flash is much more stable and it is compatible with all browsers so that would be your best bet if you want to use cool looking things without making the page unstable.

This may not be a big problem now since IE7 is still in beta, but in a few months the final will come out and many more people will have it. Also all new computers will be shipping with IE7 already installed.

BONSAL
FOUNDER & ADMINISTRATOR
FOUNDER & ADMINISTRATOR
Birthday: 25 Sep 1976

Unread post by BONSAL »

Thanks for the info madz. Actually, I'll be deploying soon a new mainpage design with macromedia flash background. The new look for tagosds.org would be an anticipation for the forthcoming phil webby awards next year because im planning to join the entry. But for you to appreciate a flash intensive page, it requires higher broadband connection & im pretty sure our site visitors from tandag-tago would exprience a time-consuming process in surfing our site. With regards to explorer 7.0 beta, as far as i know it's still in the development stage that's why it's still beta. As per feedback from my peers, a lot of bugs had been reported for that beta version. Better yet, let's just wait for the release of final version before we assess its compatibility with our site. Thanks again...
"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow."
- ronald e. Osborn

madZ
Website Benefactor
Website Benefactor

very good!

Unread post by madZ »

Thats very good news that your will be using Flash on your next re-design. Yes, I agree that IE7 is still in beta and has a lot of bugs already. But it is a good heads up that it may ship with the bug that causes the existing Tago site to crash it so bad. If it is just the navigation causing it, you could test an HTML or Flash alternate menu to see if it is the cause, and then have a menu ready while you finish up the new Flash site.

However, I dont agree about the common assumption that any website built in Flash will always be a very huge, high bandwidth/heavy download, website. You should make note that by using Flash, you can actually make a website load faster, smoother and more efficient, all of which will allow a 56k user see content much faster and smoother than they would on a non-Flash site. It all depends on how you build the Flash site, and how you make use of preloaded movie clips and other Flash features. Like in Flash, you can load up a movieclip and then re-use it without any hit to the bandwidth and no re-downloading.
Also, in Flash you can use vector graphics and artwork that are only a few KB in size (much smaller than a lot of jpg and gif images), and these vector graphics can be scaled without any pixelization, blurring or dithering, so the graphics always look sharp and crisp.

So lets say you were going to build a page in HTML with some gradients in the background, some rounded text windows, drop shadows, some photos and a nice jpg logo. The text would load first with a background hex color, then slowly one-by-one each image would be given bandwidth to start downloading till eventually the page would pop into place, 1 piece at a time. The drop shadows while looking cool, will always be a bandwidth killer for JPG and GIF files. You have to use slices and tricks just to get a nice shadow to be small in KB, but then your nice shadow is pre-rendered to a single color or background texture and then you have to keep it that way with no overlapping content, no objects that float above others, and no changing the background color or image..
Now build the exact same page using Flash.. You have the background color coming in instantly just like in HTML.. then you have all the gradients as vector art, so they load instantly, and you can animate them to fade in nicely or wipe in using masks, (no more cheesy pop-in graphics as it loads). And then you have the logo, now in 100% vector, so it looks sharper and it can be painlessly animated as it comes in and even a simple animation if someone roll's over it without having to download extra images for each frame of animation. Then you can have the nice rounded text boxes slide or fade into place, and then the text can zoom, fade, blur, draw, wipe, glow or any combination until it it revealed. You can even add a nice simple vector drop shadow to the text or graphics without any hit to the download size. Those vector drop shadows are not just microscopic in download size, they are also translucent, so you can place them on top of any background color, texture, photo, or animation and you can animate the shadows and reposition the shadowed object without any trouble. And then finally you can have the images come in with any of the above effects and also make use of simple preloader bars, so again it will not just pop into the page like an HTML page. When looking at both the HTML version and the Flash version in the browser, the Flash version is constantly animating, keeping the user happy while something new is fading or animating in. The HTML version pauses the whole page for each large image to load, and when it does load it pops into view which can push content around (unwanted) and distracting the user if they were trying to read the text on the page. So for me anyway, when a site is built well in Flash, it is a much nicer experience and a faster load than standard HTML pages.

With Flash, you can also have cool transitions as content loads and make it with smart loading using advanced scripts to detect the user's speed (so someone not on broadband will see a customized lower bandwidth version). Flash also allows you to compress the whole movie without any loss of detail, and on top of that lets you apply JPG compression to any image or the whole movie at any level of detail, so you have alot more control than a standard HTML page would have.

Anyway, I am glad you will be making it in Flash! Do you have a sneek preview yet? Good luck on the awards next year!