MAY 2010 ELECTIONS: TAGO'S SCORE CARD

Tell us your views about CURRENT issues!

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

MAY 2010 ELECTIONS: TAGO'S SCORE CARD

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

Hours before Tagon-ons went out of their homes to try their hands at the PCOS machine for the May 2010 elections, heaven was already leaking like hell. Still they went to their designated polling places by braving the heavy rains and queued for at least two hours while standing on murky, knee-deep waters.

When rains continued without let-up and people began going home with nary a blot of indelible ink on their index finger, candidates panicked: These people had already received the “tili-tili,” what if, because of the hassle that comes with voting, they would just decide to stay at home and not vote?

The Comelec Report

For Tago, Comelec reported 35 clustered precincts, 21,254 registered voters and 16,638 who actually voted. All these data say is that for every 10 Tagon-on voters, about eight had cast their ballot. Given the inclement weather on May 10, the 78.28% voter turnout is quite high and all because the electorates were curious about the PCOS machine and the new way of voting.

(read the article in full by clicking the link: http://kspy65.blogspot.com/)
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Insomada
Thread Moderator/Website Benefactor
Thread Moderator/Website Benefactor

Re: MAY 2010 ELECTIONS: TAGO'S SCORE CARD

Unread post by Insomada »

Kamps,

Whatever comments I could make after reading your mesmeric story in full, the core of them all would be centered on how I felt about the recent election.

Firstly off, the machine looks cute and resembles just about an old model scanner.

The election returns just the same, sent shivers to my thoughts even if people cast their vote on the premise they were curious about the PCOS machine and the automated way of voting. The basic tenet for one’s voice to be heard in helping choose our leaders is having his/her vote counted in a political exercise. And election is one major exercise. The scenario people putting their suffrage to use is what fascinated me, so much so if there were no tilitilis involved or vote buying for that matter.

Just a thought: Why can’t the government enforce compulsoriness for voting? Kami ngadi very compulsory gayod. That even people wishing to be away on election day can vote just so they won’t be penalized. The penalty was $50 before. Dunno how much now as I’ve never been truant during elections here.

I then thought if pecuniary penalty is imposed, it would be a good measure to generate government revenue. Hence, the government would benefit from the unspeakable practice of vote buying if people who have been given money by candidates use such money to pay for their fines if they fail to vote. Is this a feasible idea? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

kampanaryo_spy

Re: MAY 2010 ELECTIONS: TAGO'S SCORE CARD

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

Insomada wrote:Kamps,

Just a thought: Why can’t the government enforce compulsoriness for voting?

insoms,

by its very nature, a right may be exercised or not without pain of penalty.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-