abb, thank you very much for this book

joy.... happiness... blessings... graces... gratitude...
whatever u wanna call it! its the stuff that makes us smile and see the world in full color.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

abb, thank you very much for this book

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

abb,

it's always a pleasure to receive a book, especially if it comes from a dear friend and a kindred spirit at that.

with this one, i really had fun. as in, i cried buckets.

thank you very much.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

BONSAL
FOUNDER & ADMINISTRATOR
FOUNDER & ADMINISTRATOR
Birthday: 25 Sep 1976

Unread post by BONSAL »

Ay taraw hibawo na siya mag attach nan image. You made it K-spy. :roll :roll :roll hala na dayun kay pun-on ta nan mga piktyur an photography thread. :-D

kampanaryo_spy

hahahaha in iban-ibanan gayud siguro bonsal nan kalag ni art. for many times i tried using imageshack for i have used it here before, pero wa epek. dunno what went wrong. i also tried photobucket (which hosts the pics i post in my personal blog), pero wara gihapon. and as you know, the "secret way" you emailed me didn't work. =P~

then this afternoon i tried imageshack again, and voila----minsugot an bungaw. and so in my excitement, i didn't do a reshoot even if art's mouth reflected some light.

sakto kaw. i've started ransacking my file for some pics i took but remain unposted. i'll try posting some tonite sa HOBBIES thread.

so there.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by Alibangbang »

K-Spy, the pleasure is mine. Glad you enjoyed it. Couldn't wait to pass this on to you. Sad this is his last. I think of you everytime I get to read his syndicated columns. There's similarities in your wit and humor. Oh yeah... I can see you doing humorous political satire and commentaries.

The soonest you get a chance, isunod pag basa an kan Dai Sijie. It's very fast easy read. Don't worry it's not about boring politics, except in a cursory way and the ending is quietly humorous perversity. :)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

kampanaryo_spy

abb,

thanks for the compliment, but though i sometimes fancy myself as a humorist rather than an essayist and a fictionist, I concede that Art Buchwald is a tough act to follow. :-D

by the way, i regret not having brought to Mangagoy "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" along with "Too Soon to Say Goodbye." Tapos ko na garo basaha. But I'll read it over the weekend when I go home to Tago, that is, if no other things grab my attention like the Career Guidance Symposium at PS. Whatever! I can always read it here in Mangagoy, naman balitaw gapa assign ako ngadi to catch up on my reading and writing.

thanks.

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Unread post by cordapya »

BONSAL wrote:Ay taraw hibawo na siya mag attach nan image. You made it K-spy. :roll :roll :roll hala na dayun kay pun-on ta nan mga piktyur an photography thread. :-D

Wow....K-Spy , happy for you na makapost nakaw. PERO inkawad-an na ako nan trabajo. Amohay da raba inin ako ma-contribute sa ato website..hehehehehehehehe. Sige da kay kon ma-busi kaw imo da ipasa kanako. :-D
What is essential is invisible to the eye.

GOD doesn't need my ability, but my availability.

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

kampanaryo_spy wrote:abb,

thanks for the compliment, but though i sometimes fancy myself as a humorist rather than an essayist and a fictionist, I concede that Art Buchwald is a tough act to follow. :-D
thanks.

Pssttt.... K-Spy, don't short changed yourself. You and him are parallel when he was your age. :-D
Last edited by Alibangbang on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

cordapya wrote:
BONSAL wrote:Ay taraw hibawo na siya mag attach nan image. You made it K-spy. :roll :roll :roll hala na dayun kay pun-on ta nan mga piktyur an photography thread. :-D

Wow....K-Spy , happy for you na makapost nakaw. PERO inkawad-an na ako nan trabajo. Amohay da raba inin ako ma-contribute sa ato website..hehehehehehehehe. Sige da kay kon ma-busi kaw imo da ipasa kanako. :-D

Mana C,

Baka monton kay yaon pa gihapoy imo trabaho. Kay si ako dili gayod mahibawo mag post nan kodak. Demodo ako pa gihapon ipasa sa imo. :D :D

kampanaryo_spy

cordaps,

anay yaka tsamba. =P~ di pa kaw gihapon haw abswelto kay ag mag omido inin imageshack ngadi, demodo i-dangsu ko gihapon kanimo haw magbinuraray buray inin connection ngadi, amo?

salamatirs daan.

sapaalaska
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator
Birthday: 01 May 1964

Unread post by sapaalaska »

cordapya wrote:

ayay kamo dakan baya an makapost nan picture? k-spy hibawo nakaw baya magpost nan picture? congrats.

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

K-Spy. . . the secret's out.... I lifted this from Associated Press...

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire -- Joe Hill knew it was only a matter of time before one of the publishing industry's hottest little secrets became common knowledge. He just wished he could have kept it under wraps a bit longer.

But when Hill's fantasy-tinged thriller, "Heart-Shaped Box," came out last month, it was inevitable that his thoroughbred blood lines as a writer of horror and the supernatural would be out there for all to see.

After 10 years of writing short stories and an unpublished novel under his pen name, Hill knows that the world is now viewing him through a different prism -- as the older son of Stephen King.

Hill, 34, took on his secret identity to test his writing skills and marketability without having to trade on the family name.
"I really wanted to allow myself to rise and fall on my own merits," he said over breakfast in this coastal city. "One of the good things about it was that it let me make my mistakes in private."

The moniker he chose did not come out of the blue. He is legally Joseph Hillstrom King, named for the labor organizer whose 1915 execution for murder in Utah inspired the song, "Joe Hill," an anthem of the labor movement. His parents, who came of age during the 1960s, "were both pretty feisty liberals and looked at Joe Hill as a heroic figure," he said.
"Heart-Shaped Box," a title drawn from a song by the rock group Nirvana, is a fast-paced tale of another man with dual identities. Judas Coyne, born Justin Cowzynski, is an over-the- hill heavy metal rocker with a strange hobby: amassing ghoulish artifacts.

When Coyne learns that a suit purportedly haunted by a ghost is up for grabs on an online auction site, he can't resist adding it to his creepy collection. Things turn ugly fast after Coyne learns that the suit's occupant is a spooky spiritualist bent on vengeance following the death of his stepdaughter.

The book has drawn good reviews, with The New York Times' Janet Maslin calling it "a wild, mesmerizing, perversely witty tale of horror" that is "so visually intense that its energy never flags." And with its cinematic, and bloody, ending, Warner Bros. snapped up movie rights six months before the book hit the market.

As excitement percolated about "Heart-Shaped Box," so, too, did lingering questions about its author. Inklings about Hill's family background started appearing in online message boards in 2005 when his collection of short stories, "20th Century Ghosts," was published in Britain.
Similarities in subject matter and appearance -- Hill has his father's bushy eyebrows and the dark beard he sported decades ago -- were enough to stir suspicion among followers of the horror genre.

"It got blogged to death," Hill recalled. But only when his identity was trumpeted in Variety last year did he realize that the secret was gone for good. "That was really the nail in the coffin," he said.

Still, his pen name had a good ride. The editor of "Heart-Shaped Box" was unaware of the King connection and Hill's agent remained in the dark for eight years before the author spilled the beans two years ago.

Hill's decision to follow his father's career should come as no surprise. His mother, Tabitha King, has been turning out novels for decades. His younger brother, Owen King, came out in 2005 with a well-received novella and short story collection that is more literary than horrific and laced with absurdity.

Like Hill, Owen King wanted to cut his own path and his book did not mention his parentage. But he decided against a pen name, figuring it would be too much trouble to try to go by an alias when meeting people or having an agent, manager, publicist or personal assistant handle details of his professional life.

The only sibling who has yet to make it into print is Naomi King, oldest of the three, who has switched careers from restaurateur to Unitarian minister. But Hill said his sister is working on a nonfiction project: a book-length study of the sermon as literary text and its place in American culture.

The King children's interest in books and writing took root early on. "It sounds very Victorian, but we would sit around and read aloud nightly, in the living room or on the porch," Hill recalled. "This was something we kept on doing until I was in high school, at least."

In an era of celebrity worship, the family has prided itself on being able to maintain as normal a lifestyle as possible despite Stephen King's fame and fortune. Hill and his brother attended public high school in Bangor, Maine, before going on to Vassar College, where they overlapped for one year.
After graduation, Hill and Owen King collaborated on a couple of screenplays. They sold one, but it has yet to be made into a movie.
The first half of "Heart-Shaped Box" is set in New York's Hudson Valley, the area around Vassar, where Judas Coyne lives with his latest Goth girlfriend, who 30 years his junior, and two devoted German shepherds.
At first, Hill envisioned his tale of a suit with a ghost attached as grist for a short story. But as he added depth and back story to his characters, it ballooned into a novel 10 times longer than what he originally planned.
The choice of title was pure serendipity. Hill's initial idea, "Private Collection," went by the wayside when the 1993 Nirvana song popped up on iTunes as the author was getting ready to write the episode in which UPS delivers the haunted suit to Coyne. It was then that Hill decided to package the suit in a heart-shaped box.

"Coyne is fiction and (Kurt) Cobain was a real guy," he said, "but I felt that the song fit very well with the book. The song is about a guy who feels trapped and desperate, and the book is about how someone uses music as a hammer to beat at the bars of his own cage."

Hill and his wife, whom he met at Vassar, live in southern New Hampshire with their three children. He is reluctant to say much about his private life, recalling how a crazed fan broke into his family's home in Bangor in 1991 and threatened his mother, a frightening episode that evoked the plot of King's earlier best seller, "Misery."

Stephen King declined a request for comment on his son's novel. "He's trying to go along with Joe's wishes and let him do this on his own," said his spokeswoman, Marsha DeFilippo. But at a recent panel discussion in New York, King told a questioner that he wouldn't rule out a collaborative book project with his son.

"I guess anything's possible," he said. "I took them on my knee, read them stories, changed their diapers, and now they're all grown up and they have become writers, of all things. I am really proud of them. I guess we'll see what happens down the road."