A Pre-Nuptial Tribute to a Beauty Queen

Wedding annoucements will be posted here...

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

A Pre-Nuptial Tribute to a Beauty Queen

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

It was a photo finish, a come-from-behind triumph for you. And for a crowd inclined to think that the candidate who wins the most number of awards automatically wins the crown, it came as a surprise, if not shock.

When things cleared, some said it was your bedimpled smile that clinched you the title of Mutya Ng Tago 1993. Others said it was the way you glided on the catwalk with the ease of a supermodel. Still many others said it was in the final round of interview when you, bristling with wit, answered “that a mother’s best place is not the office but the home because it’s where she takes care of her children and nurtures them with love.”

But no matter what they said, you were fated to be a beauty queen! This I knew right the first rehearsal night when you entered the gym and lit the whole place with your presence. Clad in a white tee tucked into a tight Levi’s, you exuded glam even in your ballerina flats!

How old were you then? Thirteen? Fifteen?

But that August night you were poised for one so young. And you looked like Carmina Villaruel, only prettier. In fact when only you and Imee were left and I---as the nervous pageant host---referred to you as such, judge Zandro Limpot gave me a two thumbs up!

It was a tension-drawn night, one that made us feel like we were sitting on pins and needles. And before the show could begin, it rained hard, resulting to a brown out and some technical glitches.

And what a tough competition it was!

Your batch was the best in the history of Mutya Ng Tago: it had the classy Imee Pilapil, a beauty titlist who had Dawn Zulueta’s looks; it had the gorgeous Sheila Soriano whose whistle-bait figure would make angels weep of envy; it had the lithe, pretty and statuesque Maryjane Duque; and it had Imelda Montero who, at 5’9,” was the tallest candidate ever.

We shared with half of the candidates the dressing room at the east wing; Imee was at the other end. And every time she won an award, you’d go to her and congratulate her. It surprised me then that for one so young, you already possessed a savoir faire that’s rare even in adults.

Imee swept the minor and major awards, causing demoralization to pervade the backstage. I gave a running pep talk, to you most especially because I thought then that fatigue and disappointment was eating at you. But then every time you went onstage, you bounced with enthusiasm as though the show had only just begun: owning the catwalk like it was your playground; sashaying in a swimsuit that betrayed nothing of the baby fats; dazzling us with élan that made you one of the most sought after young models in Davao; and enthralling us with impeccable bearing in a Lady Di-inspired, black and white ensemble that reeked of simplicity and class.

Mutya Ng Tago is a beauty pageant known for not giving the questions in advance. We, at the Secretariat, believe that doing so would rob the pageant of spontaneity. (There’s nothing more pathetic than having candidates parroting-then-forgetting a memorized response prepared by pseudo intellectuals.) And so we understood your mom when she said during pictorials that she was not quite confident with you. You’re just a 3rd year high school student, she said, and what could possibly come from a babe’s mouth? But then your sister butted in that you may not be that intelligent, but you’re witty and smart.

And this you proved in the last stretch of the pageant when you finally wowed the judges!

By showing that one must match beauty with brains**—or form with substance---you set the bar higher for Mutya Ng Tago. And thanks to you, form-with-substance became a mantra for future candidates.

All these and more made you an icon. And the best Mutya Ng Tago, bar none!

Some 14 years later, on 10 February 2007, at 3:30 in the afternoon, you’ll be walking down the length of another catwalk---the center aisle of St. Francis of Assisi in Maa, Davao City. And this time, you’ll be in the arms of your groom who's giving you a new name and a new title.

Years from now, as you switch from supermodel to supermom, don’t forget that a mother’s best place is not the office but the home because it’s where she takes care of her children and nurtures them with love. But hey, you said this yourself, didn’t you?

Bernadette “Ben-ben” Feliciano: Beauty Queen. Icon. Bride.

My best wishes.

imee and benben

the mutya ng tago 1993 candidates

-- ------
* this was not to say that other candidates didn’t do well in the interview; it was just that you gave a better answer.
Last edited by kampanaryo_spy on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:55 am, edited 8 times in total.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by Alibangbang »

K-Spy,

Mo chime in ako. :) Pagka tam-is nan inin imo pahinongod kaniya. Ag sa lang kita mahinoklog ("the mother's place.......") had I known this sooner, I should have married rich. 8-[ :-D

To Miss Bernadette Feliciano,

Best wishes on your forthcoming nuptial. You deserve the best.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Unread post by cordapya »

HELO EVERYONE!!

K-0Spy, kanin-o ini anak? Is she the grandchild of Godilla Bolonia-Cuyno? :-D

BEST WISHES.....dakan.
What is essential is invisible to the eye.

GOD doesn't need my ability, but my availability.

SIBULING
Website Benefactor
Website Benefactor

best wishes

Unread post by SIBULING »

Bem,best wishes !miss you

walang makakatalo sa imo.Bibuhi gayud yadto.as in enjoy sab an mga classmates ko(college) na yakapangita nan Miss Tago.

Spy,kalami ilubolubo kalamii mo musuwat.Sana 2008 yaon na sab .

kampanaryo_spy

abb,

a special person deserves a special tribute. pinangga namo ini na bata kay way paglubad nan batasan.

cordaps,

pag umangkon ini siya ni godelia kay an mother ni benben na si nenita bolonia sister sa ni godelia. in fact, ninang si godelia sa february.

may mga pictures na ako in email kan bon to go with the Tribute, pictures nan 1993 mutya ng tago beauty pageant. pero busy siguro anhin si bon.

i-email ko kanimo kuman para ma post mo nganhi, amo?

thanks.

SIBULING,

WHEN I AND JAPAN WERE SORTING THE PICTURES FROM THE 1993 MUTYA NG TAGO PAGEANT FOR POSTING HERE, LIPAYI KAMI NI JAP PAGHIKITA NAMO KANIMO NGADTO. BLACK SA GAYUD TARAW AN GOWN MO KAY WHAT IS, PRESENTER SA KAW AGAW!

AW OO, YOUR CLASSMATES FROM CEU YAKAKITA SA AGAW KAY YAMAKASYON SA SILA SA TAGO. DI BA BILIBI SILA NAN CHOREOGRAPHY NI MANONG BOBOT? THEY EVEN SAID THAT THEY DIDN'T EXPECT NA AMO KUNO YADTO KA SOSYAL AN SHOW KAY PROBINSYA GUD TAPOS "MUTYA NG PILIPINAS" SA BAYA AN PRODUCTION. MANONG BOBOT PA!

TAGO WAS THE FIRST TO USE A VIDEO WALL IN THAT PAGEANT. DUHA SA GAYUD KA PLEGO NAN PLYWOOD AN SCREEN THAT PROJECTED THE ACTIVITIES OF THE CANDIDATES---PICTORIALS, TALENT SHOW ETC. YEARS LATER, OTHER MUNICIPALITIES FOLLOWED SUIT. GAPALIT SA GAYUD SI BOLON NAN EQUIPMENT WORTH 90 THOU JUST TO MAKE THE SHOW A KILLER. TO DATE, IT REMAINS TO BE THE BEST MUTYA NG TAGO PAGEANT EVER.

GUSTO MO IPA-POST NGANHI YADTON PICTURE MO?
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Insomada
Thread Moderator/Website Benefactor

Unread post by Insomada »

Kadayaway ini na tribute, same with Sibuling maglubolubo isab ako nan kalami. Si K_Spy na god na. Anak baya siya ni Mana Nenita, sister ni Loloy Bolonia, di ba? Si Mana Godelia is in the states, ag bagan sila magtawagay nan sister ko ngadi. Hala please epost aton mga pictures. Sibs sigi sugot na e post an pic mo para amo makita. Wara gayod ako kadumdum na may Miss Tago pageant sa una.

kampanaryo_spy

insoms,

koreki kaw gayud. hala talikud kay tsekan! hahaha

yup, godelia is now in the states. wara siya ka uli nan pagkamatay ni ya diday, an iya da bana ug kids.

inday lagi nanga dili ako ka post nganhi. may bag-o na technique inhatag kanako ni bon, still---no-can-do! grrrrr......

bah may Miss Tago sa una, 1976. si nida laurente (representing purok avocado) balitaw and yakadaug. 1st runner up si colita lim (sa amo purok---tambis). other contestants were: marilyn pareja (calamansi), daisy secarro (citrus), ditas orozco (grapes), dulce pilapil (kinabigtasan), moonyeen quico (unaban).

di ba si nida gihapon an ms. talent; she sang POBRENG ALINDAHAW. colita ruled in the question and answer portion.

Insomada

Well done, yahi insert mo an pic sa previous post mo. Kalisodi lagi mag post nan picture.

Miss Tago pageant- I meant after the time of Nida Laurente wara na dayon ako kabati. Wara pa say lagi Tago web. Kanaman kadakoe gayod namo na utang namo na buot sa web nato. Banggiitan sa gayod iton memory K_spy, yakadomdomi pa sa kaw gayod nan mga contestants. Thanks gayod for all your efforts.

kampanaryo_spy

insoms,

no, it's cordaps who posted the picture. masipog na ako kan bon asta kan cordaps kay ag ko lang gango-gango-on na busy raba iton na mga tao. pero unhon sa lagi na di sa ako ka post nganhi.

big event inin Mutya Ng Tago sa ato; inatangan gayud kay kriminal sa lagi mo mount nan mga kababalaghan an tago. Di sa gayud magpa-alang alang.

Swerte sab an tago tungod kan bobot bagohin who is a topnotch (walang katulad) na choreographer. kamatayon an mga concept ni mam'bobot (that's how we call him---short for manong bobot). an mga soundtrack yaon wara nganhi, wara ngadto. basta magbinirahay nan kinuha-ay nan tapes human nan show.

an ka benben batch amoy kamatayon yadto kay 75 Araw ng Tago. may mga contestants from towns na under nan tago before like Bayabas, Cagwait and San Miguel. Jingle Murillo baya agaw was also a contestant.

maglaong kaw haw mo uli kaw kay magpasiugda kita ngadi, tapos judge kaw. hahahaha.

CORDAPS,

SALAMATIRS FOR POSTING THE PICS.
Last edited by kampanaryo_spy on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Insomada

Amo lagi, talented sa sab gayod yaon si Mam Bubot pareho kan Manday. Ayao lang ako pagkuhaa na judge kay basin ko padag-on tanan kay malooy sa ako nan dili kadaug, ha, ha, ha. Mutabang da lang ako pagdecorate nan stage ug uban pa, amo da say kaya ko ini.

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Unread post by cordapya »

K-Spy! abay kasipog kay ganahan sa isab ako makakita nan mga pix. Kay wara kona sa panghikilahi inin mga bag-ong tubo. Sige lamang para kapuslan an paka moderator. Yaningkamot lagi ako na mahibawo nan inin computer kay para makatabang nganhi sa ato web. Sa pagkatino-od wara say ako himangka-agan nan inin computer before - except to read & send e-mail. Kay kalo-oy sa isab ni BON kon hasta pa pan-post iya pagihapon.

Hala dayon K-Spy, ato i-post an kan SIBULING pix nan yadto na iyo affair to remember. :D :D :D
What is essential is invisible to the eye.

GOD doesn't need my ability, but my availability.

manday
Certified Member
Certified Member

Unread post by manday »

yes Insom I am one of the living witnesses in that said memorable and beautiful event.I was still in LandBank Tandag Branch then.An theme song nan kanta nan yaon na event an malaong ko lamang si Nonon Villamor bagan memorize pa nya an favorite na kanta. Modesty aside, one of the best things that happen in Tago. JUMPACKED an Gymnasium not with tago-on only but people as far as other nearby towns tapos puno i an plaza nan private cars considering that the rain poured hard before the start of the show. I was also one of the presentors taraw, I was wearing black blouse with a black shorts may glittering sequins, basta dum na adto pa ako sastre kay paga apas gayod.Bagan isa ka buwan bagan amo topic nan mga tao.Tandag Tago affected.Si K-spy EMCEE at si DEDEE anchor woman basta sosyali with all the lightings with a classy stage. With limited resources but the show ended up almost at par with the famous BB PILIPINAS.Enjoyi kami and at the same nervous also kay an press release ni K Spy an mga tao excited gayod.Pero Insom way labot ko sa concept nan show si manong bobot da yaon kay iya forte stage choreographer an director. Si K=spy an promotor gayod nan iton.

kampanaryo_spy

hahahahahaha ay, ay manday yakadumdum pa sa kaw nan theme song nan ini na event.

oo agaw may theme song sa nan ini. basta amo da kamin mga bungaw sa davao nan yamalit kami (mambobot, deedee and i) nan mga munisyon nan candidates para sa swimsuit competion and production number. ga taxi kami, sus min aligmaat da sa tukar an theme song sa FM, in reflex ga trio dayon kami. kuman ini kay apikihi na sa kami sa amo destinasyon, basta isaburak dayon ni mambobot an mga pinalit haw dungan dialogue nan: MR. DRIVER YAHANGO KAMI HAW PILAY AMO BAYDAN, BASTA PAGHUNONG NGAD-ON KAY AMO HUMANON AN SONATA!

WAHAHAHAHAHA basta grabe na katinga nan driver kanamo.

oo, lihiro si nonon nan yaon na theme song. it's a song from toni daya. di ako mag tell nan title. recently it was revived by raymund manalo and made the cover song of his album.

hala tukda?

Judstump
Website Benefactor
Website Benefactor

Unread post by Judstump »

k-spy, inkit-an ko yadto na palabas sa TFC pero wara ako kahibawo na apil baya siya. Si mana Del min bisita isab sa ako nan bag-o pa ako yanganak kan Tara tapos si Flor yakakadto isab sa Sacramento pero sige kami gihapon contact ni mana del kay tungod kan kol jun. yahibawo pa ako ya record ko garo yadto na palabas.

manday
Certified Member
Certified Member

Unread post by manday »

K_Spy ay yatis kaw paga challenge mo sa gayod ako memory ko na my memory loss na dementia of alzheirmer's type, pero alam ko yaon paga laong mo ay ay buloki sa ako sa musik pero man kantahon yaon ni manong bobot with maching running tears sa Music Museum.Si Nonon inkadomdoman ko kay grabe an iya illustion that time kay man sa isab sya mag catwalk basta na gani patukaron yadton mga tukar na sa casual dress at swimsuit compitition na medyo fast beat.

ay ay agaw bagan the hapit na there is kasal in the song, misyonan ko yaon silom.