writing tips for pato

Things you do at your leisure. Arts and crafts, pets and collections etc.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya, Binignit

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

writing tips for pato

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

pats, because i know you're serious in making writing your hobby, here's an extract from 12 Writing Tips.

TIP THREE: FIND ROLEMODELS

It’s said that imitation is the sincerest of flattery. But for those of us trying to become better writers, imitation is more than flattery; it's a powerful and time-honored way to master the craft.

I've learned some very important lessons by writing down turns-of-phrases by other writers whose work I admire. But don't just copy. Analyze. If a particular phrase or sentence is appealing to you, don't just enjoy the words. Ask yourself what it is you like about it. Break the sentence down and try to understand why those words managed to elicit a reaction from you.

In the end, you must use your own words to become the writer you want to be. But you can learn loads by initially copying and analyzing the style of other writers. Through this method, you gain an intimate understanding of the way good writers construct their sentences.

“Do not fear imitation. Nobody sensible pursues an imitative style as a long-term goal, but all accomplished writers know that the notion of pure originality is a childish fantasy. Up to a point, imitation is the path to discovery and essential to growth.” –Stephen Koch, Princeton and Columbia writing teacher-
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

pato
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Re: writing tips for pato

Unread post by pato »

K-spy,

you've always been good to me. thank you very much.

kampanaryo_spy

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

pats,

my being good to you is all about the perpetuation of the writing race. you see, writers are endangered species, and so we need recruits. :-D

i'm sharing with you now my FAVORITE among the 12 Writing Tips. (Underscoring all mine.)

TIP SIX: BE YOUR OWN HARSHEST CRITIC

Good writers are rarely satisfied. They write a word, then tap the delete key and start all over again. Multiple times. They're always trying to find a more compelling lead to draw in the reader, a stronger angle, more colorful quotes to spice up the story, a snappier conclusion leaves a lasting impression on the reader.

To be a good writer, you must constantly review your work. Once you’ve finished writing an article, take a short breather, walk around the house, have a coffee, and then read your story from start to end. When doing so, role-play the reader. Pretend you're reading the story for the first time.

Does the lead make you want to keep reading? Does it take you too long to learn what the story is about and why it's important to you? What questions do you have about the story? Are they answered in the order you would logically ask them? Was the conclusion memorable enough? Be your own harshest critic.

Do this until you are sufficiently satisfied with what you've got (as a good writer, you should NEVER be fully satisfied).
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

pato
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by pato »

kampanaryo_spy wrote:pats,

my being good to you is all about perpetuation of the writing race. you see, writers an endangered, and so we need recruits. :-D

i'm sharing with you now my FAVORITE among the 12 Writing Tips. (Underscoring all mine.)

TIP SIX: BE YOUR OWN HARSHEST CRITIC

Good writers are rarely satisfied. They write a word, then tap the delete key and start all over again. Multiple times. They're always trying to find a more compelling lead to draw in the reader, a stronger angle, more colorful quotes to spice up the story, a snappier conclusion leaves a lasting impression on the reader.

To be a good writer, you must constantly review your work. Once you’ve finished writing an article, take a short breather, walk around the house, have a coffee, and then read your story from start to end. When doing so, role-play the reader. Pretend you're reading the story for the first time.

Does the lead make you want to keep reading? Does it take you too long to learn what the story is about and why it's important to you? What questions do you have about the story? Are they answered in the order you would logically ask them? Was the conclusion memorable enough? Be your own harshest critic.

Do this until you are sufficiently satisfied with what you've got (as a good writer, you should NEVER be fully satisfied).

That’s a good tip. I know I owe you much and can’t repay you for anything, but my prayers I have for will always be there. Again, thank you.