pista ukay-ukay

Things you do at your leisure. Arts and crafts, pets and collections etc.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya, Binignit

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

pista ukay-ukay

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

Time was when people associate town fiestas with attending mass, pigging out “from house to house,” chomping cotton candies, doing the rides and playing games at the carnival. But now people associate town fiestas with pigging out “from house to house,” going the ukay-ukay route, and back to pigging out again.

There wasn’t much good finds at this year’s mound of ukay-ukay. Still I managed to snatch three long sleeves that come in salmon pink, pewter gray and champagne. And there was this blinding white polo with superb button details but contained little black characters like those stenciled on Mahjong tiles. Much as I coveted it, I threw it back because I don’t want to be put in the same situation as my friend.

Let’s just call her Magda. An undisputed ukay-ukay queen, Magda is a fashionista who makes ukay of the whole universe if only to let her friends die of envy. One day she dangles before you a nice scarf she bought for P1 in Bukidnon; another day she fishes from her “UK” sundry bag a cardigan she bought for P10 somewhere in Cagayan de Oro. Another day...you get the point.

That balmy Wednesday afternoon, Magda was bound for Manila and was wearing a navy blue blazer. At Butuan airport's pre-dep, a foreigner approached her.

“From what branch?” the button hole-eyed foreigner said. The ever talkative Magda was taken aback, but only for a sec.

“Excuse me?” she said.

The foreigner smiled. “I’m from the same bank,” he said, gesturing a whole hand to the characters imprinted near the breast pocket of Magda’s blazer. “From what branch are you?”

“Oh, I’ve long retired,” Magda said and went straight to the comfort room.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

pato
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Re: pista ukay-ukay

Unread post by pato »

K-spy,

Magda must have been very smart. I wonder if the foreigner had any hunch of doubts that she was lying.

Any clue who she is?

Actually, ukay-ukay is the best bargain we can truly look for on branded imported stuffs especially if you don’t want to spend much money extravagantly. But then again, as the saying goes, “PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE”. You have to patiently heave the hefty mound of ukay-ukay stuffs until you absolutely find the perfect material you think is the best for you.

That’s what I did when I was still there many years ago.

Thanks for sharing. Your article reminisces me the renaissance of my past experiences.

kampanaryo_spy

pato wrote:K-spy,

Any clue who she is?

pats,

si Magda'y pangangalanan na sa pagbabalik ng..............the BUZZ!
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

pato
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by pato »

kampanaryo_spy wrote:
pato wrote:K-spy,

Any clue who she is?

pats,

si Magda'y pangangalanan na sa pagbabalik ng..............the BUZZ!
BIGTOYON!

kampanaryo_spy

wahahahaha. bigtoyon nan imo tikwil! :-D

Insomada
Thread Moderator/Website Benefactor
Thread Moderator/Website Benefactor

Unread post by Insomada »

Kamps,

First off, Magda’s reaction was done in a smart fashion ha ha ha. Unbeknown to the
foreigner, it wasn’t the truth.

I guess I know Magda but won’t tell. [-X [-X [-X

kampanaryo_spy

aduy, Insoms, imo kay gayud pagakutaw ton babaungan ni Pato. para kamo mahiluna, Magda is not from Tago or Tandag. In short, you all don't know her. So there. :-D