LANUZA OFFERS WORLD-CLASS WAVES...for abb!

Tago's secret jewels and distinct voice.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

LANUZA OFFERS WORLD-CLASS WAVES...for abb!

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

Lanuza is a quaint town just 48 kilometers north of Surigao del Sur’s capital town of Tandag. Over the years, it has responded well to the ever-blowing winds of change, metamorphosing from a sleepy caterpillar into a vibrant butterfly.

Lanuza is Surigao del Sur’s cleanest and greenest town. Credit goes mainly to Dr. Algerico H. Irrizarri, the young, spirited mayor, whose vision has been widely shared by his constituents. He has many dreams for his town and foremost among them is to host an international surfing competition. At the moment, Lanuza serves as transient home to some American, Canadian, and Australian surfers.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this emerging surfing site but I was skeptical. Then last year, I was on the same plane from Cebu to Tandag with two young foreigners who told me they were surfers headed for Lanuza. This made me decide to go-see and write about it.

One balmy August Friday, I paid Mayor Irrizarri a visit. And sensing my interest to interview someone, he introduced me to Acila Elizalde who owns the only lodging house in Lanuza and who keeps a register of surf travelers. Her first recorded surfers--- Michael Ross and Greg Hudson, both from the Peace Corps---arrived in Lanuza in 1979 and stayed for a month. The following year, Elizalde billeted 10 surfer-friends of the two Americans. Since then, the surfers never stopped coming, mostly in September through December; some stayed for days while others, as long as three months, even spending Christmas with her. Every year she hosts no fewer than 20 surfers.

Michael Denmeade, a fortyish Australian who eventually married a resident, said that he likes Lanuza because “the people are very warm and hospitable, the place is peaceful, and the cost of living is cheap.” Asked about the surfing site, he said that “it’s not crowded, has world class waves and is very clean.” I also learned from him that surfing is best from October to December because it’s the typhoon season in the western Pacific.

John S. Callahan, another surfer, wrote about Lanuza’s surfing site---“The Next Big Thing”---in the January 1997 issue of Hot Spots, an international Surfing magazine. He said that spotlight was chiefly focused on the Philippine’s top “surfaris” that possibilities of other surfing areas along the Pacific Coast like Lanuza have been overlooked.

A part of a large peninsula that juts out into the Pacific Ocean, Lanuza is ideal for catching typhoon swells from storms passing to the north. It is also strategically located to catch favorable winds that add shape to the waves. The fathomless waters of the Philippine Trench are just offshore, ensuring that ocean swells arrive on the coast with little loss of speed or energy from the drag of shallow inshore waters. The wide variety of waves in such a small area makes Lanuza an appealing destinations for surfers: sand bottom rivermouths, rock bottom rivermouths, long points, hollow reef waves and sand bottom beach breaks are all present.

Callahan’s finest discovery was a beautiful right-hand point break in a small cove near the tip of the peninsula where a “delta of round rocks, producing crisp lefts and rights on both high and low tides is perfect for high-performance surfing. It’s very similar to the break in Southern California known as Trestles only that the setting here in Lanuza is even better.”

Callahan said that surf explorers have, until recently, stayed away from Surigao del Sur despite its wave potential because of “the area’s reputation for political violence.” In the 80’s the place was a major stronghold of the New People’s Army and that there were rumors of territorial ferals or tribalistic groups of surfers who---having discovered good, unknown, uncrossed waves---would do almost anything to stay in the area and prevent other surfers from finding “their waves.” In addition, there were reported armed ferals in cahoots with the NPA to protect secret breaks. But as Callahan and his friends found for themselves, “Lanuza was loaded with good waves and lacking both in NPAs and ferals.”

While Callahan is confident that Lanuza “will soon become known for great surfing condition," Mayor Irrizarri laments that nothing goes into the coffers of the local government because at the moment, it doesn’t have facilities to justify the collection of fees of whatever nature. But maybe not for long because a proposal has been submitted and endorsed by the Department of Tourism to the Philippine Tourism Authority for a convention-cum-hotel-cum-sports center fronting the Pacific.

In the mean time, homestay program awaits accreditation by the Department of Tourism.

(Addendum: As envisioned by John Callahan, Lanuza's surfing site has gained acclaim via its Annual International Surfing Competition which, at one time and on separate occasion, was attended by celebrity surfers Jericho Rosales and Wowee de Guzman.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer published this in 14 March 1998. )
Last edited by kampanaryo_spy on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Insomada
Thread Moderator/Website Benefactor

Unread post by Insomada »

Wow another informative magnum opus by a man whose skill in writing is beyond reproach.

Glad finally Lanuza’s splendour has come to light. I have been aware of this Surfing attraction through a compare from Lanuza (his son is my inaanak) who happens to be the son of the sole lodging house owner as you K-spy mentioned- Acila Elizalde. This compare of mine, Steve is his name lives within close proximity to us, 3 minute walk from my house to his. One time last year, Steve told me that Lanuza hosts a yearly International Surfing Competition. He made mention that construction of Lanuza’s beach esplanades have just been finished with all the ornamental statues that would capture one’s sight as one strides near the beach. He then unveiled to me his plan to construct a hotel that would cater accommodation to balikbayans especially the international surfers. This would come a reality when he retires maybe five years from now. Apart from that he also told me that Lanuza was also hosting a yearly tennis competition that sometimes solicitations for prizes would reach him. Just this June Steve invited me to come along with him and his family for a vacation in Lanuza as it was also Lanuza's town fiesta but I declined as I have just been to Tago recently. I told him, “now that I knew, this would definitely be a part of my blueprint when visiting Tago next time.”

My hunch was right when I told Steve that "surely one day our brilliant writer K-Spy would write about this Surfing pride of Lanuza". True enough you already did long time ago K-Spy! Splendid!!! And now my next agenda is to show him this article you've written about this subject. I'm very well sure the moment I do that he would incessantly boost Lanuza's beauty that had been stashed for a long time. Well done K-Spy.

kampanaryo_spy

HAHAHA insoms, grabe ka magnum opus! but still, my thanks.

lanuza holds its international surfing competition in november. you better come with your friend and see how the place crawls with foreigners. during this time, lanuza also holds other events like bikini open, trade fair, and concert.

and yes, the esplanade is done, and it's called---the prospero pichay, sr. boulevard!
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Insomada

My mind was as crook as myself as I was struck by flu virus, you know it’s winter time. I should have said “agendum” instead of agenda.

K-Spy for me magnum opus na yaon for I know I am incapable of coming up such literary composition. Tell you something. I have a British work colleague who akin to you and Abb is an erudite and a voracious reader. Every week he comes to work with books with him and put them in our kitchen zinc near the microwave. He does this so people would have the books as giveaway after he finishes reading them. Ag ko dayon pandad-on sa bay. Koman yatipon na sila ready for shipment to you or when I come home? How’s that? I believe I had him read all of your articles you posted here. And you know what he said? “Lalaine who is this great writer?” Of course my friend, I said” “Tell him a great future awaits him, he's marvelous” He further said, “when I go to Philippines for a holiday can I see this friend of yours? I was thinking siguro tagaan kaw niya nan some of his books na yabasa na niya. I said, it depends which part of the Philippines you would go to as my friend lives in Mindanao”. Then he said “Mindanao?!!!” "Isn’t it the training ground for Al Queda men who support Bin Ladin? Forget it then!" Then I thought, “Patay”!!! Like me, he was so impressed by your “spaghetti story”. It was kinda mind-boggling. And to me that spaghetti story gave justice to the word magnum opus.

Lain pay ato, amokay agaw Boulevard kuno an tawag. So what’s this Bikini Open? Magbikini tanan an mga participants, ha, ha.

Sa Nov pala an Surfing Competition so dili baya maatol kon aton kami. I’m planning to be home again during Papa’s 1st death anniv though still tentative.

Binignit

Unread post by Binignit »

kampanaryo_spy wrote:HAHAHA insoms, grabe ka magnum opus! but still, my thanks.

lanuza holds its international surfing competition in november. you better come with your friend and see how the place crawls with foreigners. during this time, lanuza also holds other events like bikini open, trade fair, and concert.

and yes, the esplanade is done, and it's called---the prospero pichay, sr. boulevard!

K-Spy, I will be there if I can talked to Gerry that I will be one of the judges on the BIKINI contest! :D :D :D

Insomada

K-Spy,

Impakita ko na kan Steve an imo write up about Lanuza. Sus nalipay man gajod ton tao. Laong dajon nija dak na mouli gajod kuno ak sa Nov para gajod ak makakita nan jaon na event.

Binigs,

Kon ikaw one of the board of judges sus Ginoo ko basin way imo pilok pilok pag makakita na kaw nan marajaw kadajaw na legs hampan....
Uno agaw yagkita da kamo ni Epap nan pag-uli mo ug imo tagpangutana nan ija pinadaygan nan una?

Binignit

Unread post by Binignit »

Insomada wrote:K-Spy,

Impakita ko na kan Steve an imo write up about Lanuza. Sus nalipay man gajod ton tao. Laong dajon nija dak na mouli gajod kuno ak sa Nov para gajod ak makakita nan jaon na event.

Binigs,

Kon ikaw one of the board of judges sus Ginoo ko basin way imo pilok pilok pag makakita na kaw nan marajaw kadajaw na legs hampan....
Uno agaw yagkita da kamo ni Epap nan pag-uli mo ug imo tagpangutana nan ija pinadaygan nan una?

Waya. Kay uno man iton si Epap na namista man sa Carrascal. Ya na hinoun kami mag kita. Hala lam kay pag uli ko otro tuig puhun ak gajud hanapon.

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Re: LANUZA OFFERS WORLD-CLASS WAVES...for abb!

Unread post by Alibangbang »

kampanaryo_spy wrote:Image

Lanuza is a quaint town just 48 kilometers north of Surigao del Sur’s capital town of Tandag. Over the years, it has responded well to the ever-blowing winds of change, metamorphosing from a sleepy caterpillar into a vibrant butterfly.

Lanuza is Surigao del Sur’s cleanest and greenest town. Credit goes mainly to Dr. Algerico H. Irrizarri, the young, spirited mayor, whose vision has been widely shared by his constituents. He has many dreams for his town and foremost among them is to host an international surfing competition. At the moment, Lanuza serves as transient home to some American, Canadian, and Australian surfers.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this emerging surfing site but I was skeptical. Then last year, I was on the same plane from Cebu to Tandag with two young foreigners who told me they were surfers headed for Lanuza. This made me decide to go-see and write about it.

One balmy August Friday, I paid Mayor Irrizarri a visit. And sensing my interest to interview someone, he introduced me to Acila Elizalde who owns the only lodging house in Lanuza and who keeps a register of surf travelers. Her first recorded surfers--- Michael Ross and Greg Hudson, both from the Peace Corps---arrived in Lanuza in 1979 and stayed for a month. The following year, Elizalde billeted 10 surfer-friends of the two Americans. Since then, the surfers never stopped coming, mostly in September through December; some stayed for days while others, as long as three months, even spending Christmas with her. Every year she hosts no fewer than 20 surfers.

Michael Denmeade, a fortyish Australian who eventually married a resident, said that he likes Lanuza because “the people are very warm and hospitable, the place is peaceful, and the cost of living is cheap.” Asked about the surfing site, he said that “it’s not crowded, has world class waves and is very clean.” I also learned from him that surfing is best from October to December because it’s the typhoon season in the western Pacific.

John S. Callahan, another surfer, wrote about Lanuza’s surfing site---“The Next Big Thing”---in the January 1997 issue of Hot Spots, an international Surfing magazine. He said that spotlight was chiefly focused on the Philippine’s top “surfaris” that possibilities of other surfing areas along the Pacific Coast like Lanuza have been overlooked.

A part of a large peninsula that juts out into the Pacific Ocean, Lanuza is ideal for catching typhoon swells from storms passing to the north. It is also strategically located to catch favorable winds that add shape to the waves. The fathomless waters of the Philippine Trench are just offshore, ensuring that ocean swells arrive on the coast with little loss of speed or energy from the drag of shallow inshore waters. The wide variety of waves in such a small area makes Lanuza an appealing destinations for surfers: sand bottom rivermouths, rock bottom rivermouths, long points, hollow reef waves and sand bottom beach breaks are all present.

Callahan’s finest discovery was a beautiful right-hand point break in a small cove near the tip of the peninsula where a “delta of round rocks, producing crisp lefts and rights on both high and low tides is perfect for high-performance surfing. It’s very similar to the break in Southern California known as Trestles only that the setting here in Lanuza is even better.”

Callahan said that surf explorers have, until recently, stayed away from Surigao del Sur despite its wave potential because of “the area’s reputation for political violence.” In the 80’s the place was a major stronghold of the New People’s Army and that there were rumors of territorial ferals or tribalistic groups of surfers who---having discovered good, unknown, uncrossed waves---would do almost anything to stay in the area and prevent other surfers from finding “their waves.” In addition, there were reported armed ferals in cahoots with the NPA to protect secret breaks. But as Callahan and his friends found for themselves, “Lanuza was loaded with good waves and lacking both in NPAs and ferals.”

While Callahan is confident that Lanuza “will soon become known for great surfing condition," Mayor Irrizarri laments that nothing goes into the coffers of the local government because at the moment, it doesn’t have facilities to justify the collection of fees of whatever nature. But maybe not for long because a proposal has been submitted and endorsed by the Department of Tourism to the Philippine Tourism Authority for a convention-cum-hotel-cum-sports center fronting the Pacific.

In the mean time, homestay program awaits accreditation by the Department of Tourism.

(Addendum: As envisioned by John Callahan, Lanuza's surfing site has gained acclaim via its Annual International Surfing Competition which, at one time and on separate occasion, was attended by celebrity surfers Jericho Rosales and Wowee de Guzman.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer published this in 14 March 1998. )

K-Spy,

Thank you....again, you've passed muster.

I’m out of adjectives, adverbs and superlatives :-D so I've created a word game with an embedded message instead. :-D Pawa sa kala-ay. Please click the clip below to open the file.

The hidden message is for all to see. I know you all can spot them.

INSOM, pag brainstorm dayon kamo si classmate lang-a siya. Kay kaniadi siya ton amo pam bato sa utok ni eng-eng. :-D
:D
Attachments
wordgames.doc
(29 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

kampanaryo_spy

Insomada wrote:K-Spy,

nanay sakto gajud insoms, mo iban kaw anay nan iton im higaya sanan makakita kaw uno-uno ka dabo ton tawo sa lanuza.

tapos, im dajon tukurun nan gihay iton mata ni binignit kon mahinajon iton mag huwes nan bikini open, kay daan---kahin mo pa---yay pilok-pilok ton tawo.

na hala. magsugilon ra kaw dak, amo?