"The Pre-School Teacher" BOW!

Express yourself. Convey your thoughts.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya, pato

Alone
Occasional Member
Occasional Member

"The Pre-School Teacher" BOW!

Unread post by Alone »

Some people are just born teachers. These are the people who teach without any formal background, but instinctively know how to pass on knowledge. And there are those who just suck at it. I have been teaching for quite a while. Informally though. Informal because I'm not officially employed as a teacher. I've been a consistently invited lecturer, resource person, speaker and such. I have given seminars and talks and facilitated in other educational endeavors. It's fun. It's doesn't hurt to get paid for it either.

But then, the business of teaching isn't all work. "Teaching is twice learning" is an adage that holds true for me. It seems that i get more out of what I’m teaching than what I’m giving.

The teaching experience can be profound. It is an opportunity to mold minds and challenge preconceptions and misconceptions. It's also a test of patience and character. Teaching martial arts to senior people, teaching martial arts to kids, ( old people and kids have the same attention span & just about the same motor coordination… really ) these are challenges that are more trying to the spirit and person than they are to the body. Teaching teaches you to teach.

Anyone who has ever taught kids will know how insistent, demanding and distracted kids can get, especially four year olds... (yes, I sideline teaching pre-school). Just catching their attention and holding it can be tough. But then again, they are kids... they must never be underestimated, but there is nothing wrong with outsmarting them.

They can be exceedingly pushy and rowdy and naughty at times. But this is how they learn, by pushing their limits and experimenting with norms. This includes obeying, disobeying and downright disregarding rules altogether. Expect subversive, rebellious and antisocial behavior. Expect that they will want their way, and expect that they will always think that they are right. You aren't only challenging what they think... you are also challenging how their parents brought them up and how their parents taught them how to think.

Kids are a great compass if you want to teach. You can never blame them for not being able to learn what you’re teaching if you are vague, incoherent or inconsistent. Not their fault at all. It means getting everything straight in your head and systematically releasing the info in manageable portions for them to absorb. It helps to speak in a language that they will understand, with examples that they can relate to.

Communication and feedback are essential indicators that the flow of information is stable... that the correct information is being given and received. If you don’t get the reaction you want, chances are you probably didn't communicate your instructions and expectations properly ... Sounds like Effective Corporate Leadership and Management to me.

So, when I think about it, I may just be teaching kids one thing, but they are teaching me a world of knowledge, about myself, about people and our society. I learn more about human nature teaching kids than I ever did from books.

There is no such thing as an "evil" child. It is our responsibility that we do not turn them to the dark side. It's not easy and it's a lot of work, teaching kids. Come to think of it... Maybe that's why pre-school is so expensive?!

And so let's go on with the challenge...Bring it on!

At least I Know I’m smarter than the average Pre-Schooler.
"Somethings are not meant to last. Let us leave it that way. Its better that we move on and continue our lives."