The 2008 Search for Mutya ng Tago...an inside story

Express yourself. Convey your thoughts.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya, pato

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

The 2008 Search for Mutya ng Tago...an inside story

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

Spoiler Alert: This is highly personal and therefore, subjective.

For the first time in the history of the Search for Mutya ng Tago, the Dream Team---Mambobot, NickLau, Bebels, Duchess, and I---could not pick out the winner in advance. Yes, the competition was so tough that minutes before the declaration of the three finalists, it was still anybody’s game.

Of course the Dream Team had its bet, but we were discreet not to make it obvious to avoid being accused of playing favorites. We (Mambobot especially) wanted her to win simply because we thought she embodied what a true beauty queen should be: lithe, graceful, witty, and with a face that changes like a chameleon’s. But then she buckled in the final round of Q&A. Maybe she was too confident for comfort as others said. Maybe luck wasn’t on her side. Maybe she wasn’t destined to be!

During the pictorial, all candidates stripped down to their skimpy swimwear. And that was how we knew that everybody was “flawless.” I repeat: everybody! Even the candidates from Gamut (#5), Jubang (#7) and Sumo-sumo (#1)---and I say this without condescension---had smooth skin. The make-up artists had indeed made a lot of savings on leg and body make-up! :roll

Except for one candidate, the rest were graceful on the catwalk and were quick studies. Mabilis ang pick-up in the words of Archie, Mambobot’s assistant choreographer.

The show opened with an ethnic jazz number from Archie and Romelie that had the audience holding their breaths until they turned blue. Then the girls, mostly in Linoi’s elegant cocktail dresses—burst onstage to the tune of “Dream Girls” and “One Night Only.”

From then on, the girls got the audience under their skin.

By the time the girls sashayed in a skimpy silver two-piece swimwear to the beat of “This Love,” the audience was spellbound. Then the first set of awards was given, thus:

Mutya Beautiful Skin: Johanne Rose H. Montenegro
Mutya Photogenic: Aiza C. Quinonez
Mutya Glamour Girl: Emy Jane D. Pilapil
Mutya Beautiful Smile: Emy Jane D. Pilapil
Mutya Best in Swimsuit: Eula Rose P. Milloren

When the long gown competition began with Il Divo’s “Besame Mucho,” the audience’s jaws dropped to the floor. But then came Fear Factor via the first round of Q&A.

I introduced an innovation in the Q&A that surprised the audience because they hadn't seen it anywhere. On the videowall were icons of Tago's delicacies and tourist spots like pasayan, alimango, pudding, cagpangi falls, buche, etc. The candidate had to take her pick among the ten icons, and viola, the question was revealed.

Also, the Q&A was interactive. We flashed a phone number on the videowall where audience could send their questions. Japan received a total of 54 questions. And the sender of the question got as prize the official Mutya ng Tago shirt which came in limited edition. The questions were:

1. Who do you choose as your boyfriend: someone who’s honest, or someone who’s caring?
2. What has been the most significant accomplishment in your life so far? Why?
3. What do you think is the biggest problem facing the youth today? Why?
4. Who would be winning this pageant if none of you were allowed to wear makeup? Why?
5. Who has the greatest influence on your life? Why
6. What do you think is one thing money cannot buy? Why?
7. What would you rather be: a successful career woman or a successful homemaker? Why?
8. Will you marry for love or money? Why?
9. Is physical appearance important to you? Why or why not?
10. What makes you different from other participants that can make you win the title of Mutya ng Tago?

Generally, the girls did quite well. But for me the first round went to Aiza who got to answer Question #9.

The second set of special awards was handed, thus:

Mutya Beautiful Hair: Aiza C. Quinonez
Mutya Best in Long Gown: Marnilo L. Tanawan

The three finalists had a common question. And since we forgot to bring Ipods for the girls not to hear each other's answer, I had to do an impromptu audience participation and dangle an Official Mutya ng Tago Shirt just to produce the Ipods. We got two!

The final question was: How would you describe Tago to a blind person?

Emy Jane said something that I really forgot.

Aiza said: "I’ll describe Tago to a blind person as the color white because it symbolizes hope."

Johanne said: “Tago…..is creeping towards progress.”

Given the pressure they were under, the girls did quite well.

All told, the judges may have come up with good decisions because nary a whimper was heard from the audience. As a matter of fact, the audience lingered long after the coronation rites were through, a first in the history of the Search for Mutya ng Tago.

It is of interest to note that all three winners of the 2008 Search for Mutya ng Tago were Glam Girl contestants last year, with Johanne and Emy Jane retaining their positions.

And interestingly, the runners-up and the Mutya ng Tago were all honor students. As a matter of fact, two were valedictorians. And this, of course, says much of the quality of the beauty queens Tago produces.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Re: The 2008 Search for Mutya ng Tago...an inside story

Unread post by Alibangbang »

kampanaryo_spy wrote: Maybe she wasn’t destined to be!
Thanks, K-Spy.

....in life, sometimes we need to lose in order to win. It's what makes life more endearing. :)

You ladies are fabulous and did a magnificent job. You're all mutya in my book. :D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Unread post by cordapya »

Thank you K-Spy - you deserve a hug & a kiss....MUAHAAAH.
...what will I say ](*,) ....very TYPICAL...I expected it.

Ladies: YOU are ALL WINNERS & ALL of you will get your CROWN - pero dili pwede madungan - ONE AT A TIME. I have a dream that among you, one will become Binibining Filipinas, One will be MISS UNIVERSE,....First Lady of the Philippines,.....Ambassador,........Supreme Court Judge.....etc,etc. etc...Just be patient, your day will come. :-D :-D Wish you ALL the GOOD LUCK that the world can offer. :wink :wink :wink
What is essential is invisible to the eye.

GOD doesn't need my ability, but my availability.

kampanaryo_spy

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

koporepek kaw gayud cordaps.

if there's one person who can truly inspire girls to be the best that they can be, it's you, you being the greatest mutya ng tago of all time! :roll
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

yobob
Occasional Member
Occasional Member
Birthday: 09 Aug 1974

Unread post by yobob »

my opinion: it's not about the contentants, no argument, they're all beautiful. But, what made the SMT "INCOMPARABLE" is the people behind it. The people who made the SMT contestants shine like stars from heaven. Do you think a "bakya/baduy" presentation could unleash the beauty as it's intended for? The winner is....the people of Tago esp maam bobot and k-spy who did such an incredible job, and that's the INSIDE STORY of SMT(dili ako member nan admiration club gang, laong pa ni k-spy)

pero ako gayod an daugan sanan si kiboglets, after two decades na wa kami makauli, tapos an ulian mo amo yaon an yahitabo na kabibuhi. it's worth visiting home again and again, basta may pamelete lang, thanks for the warm welcome. :-({|=

Judstump
Website Benefactor
Website Benefactor

Unread post by Judstump »

Koreki kaw gayod yobob kay mismo ako bana dili makatoo nan yadto na panghitabo. amazed gayod siya nan ingenuity nan tagon-on. talk of the town gayod an araw nan tago pati pag-abot ko sa manila nong bobot called me about the event laong ko super gayod tungod sa iyo hard work. BRAVO TO K-SPY AND NONG BOBOT. :roll :roll