The Passing of Time

Express yourself. Convey your thoughts.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya, pato

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

The Passing of Time

Unread post by Alibangbang »

Related to K-Spy’s post: “The Iron Batch Holds Pearl (30th) Anniversary.

The Passing of Time.

There is nothing more familiar than the passage of time. “Seize the day!” people say, because, “What’s here today is gone tomorrow”. But while it admittedly “seems” to us that time moves along, it’s just not clear how it does so. For time is not a physical object or a thing: it doesn’t exist first in one place, then, move to another. But then in what sense, exactly, does it really move?

If time were truly advancing, we ought to be able to say how quickly. One may think that clocks measure that rate, but actually that’s not quite true. :-D

What a clock measures, in fact, is not time but rather how some physical things are correlated with other physical things. Right? Now, glance at your wristwatch or at the clock hanging on the wall, and see that it reads 4:22 pm (NY time). Close your eyes let it close…open then glance at your wristwatch again and see 4:25 pm (still NY time). Those two glances are correlated with those two readings, apparently measuring 3 minutes of time. But now, imagine that between those glances everything in the universe had speed up together, our brain activity, thoughts, sensation and the mechanism of the wristwatch (or clock). Those two glances would still be correlated with those two readings (4:22 pm & 4:25 pm), but less than 3 minutes would have passed (because everything had moved faster) … and we’d never notice the difference. So the wristwatch (or clock) is not actually measuring the time itself! :-k

If we are really to imagine time itself moving, distinct from all physical things, we must imagine the universe to be entirely empty of all physical things and ask ourselves whether time would still flow. It’s very tempting to say yes. But then remember that it’s an “empty” universe: there is nothing in it. If there is truly nothing in it, then nothing can be happening because nothing can be occurring, and nothing can really be moving.

“Time flies”, they also say, “when you’re having fun”. I’m all in favor of having fun. But having fun won’t pass the time more quickly, if time doesn’t really pass at all.

K-Spy, you may wonder where I’m going with this. Answer is: No where. This MEDIOCRE philosopher :shock: :-D is just pondering time and its passing. ;)

---------------------------------

Yesterday was Veterans Day. I took the day off to spend “quality” time with my nocturnal creatures (kids). Was preaching the importance of sleep and waking up early citing the proverb, “The early bird gets the worm” when it made me realized I’ve created free-thinking monsters. Because, to which, one accused me of being bias and one-side by focusing on the good fortune of the bird, completely ignoring the misfortune of the poor worm. Then my little monster added: “Mother, with all due respect, I think, you may have forgotten the fact that the second mouse “always” gets the cheese”.

K-Spy, they used to listen and hang on to every word I say but now, I can’t even get a word in edgewise. Ay! :x Enjoy Bugsy while you can because time flies especially when we’re not looking. :-D
Last edited by Alibangbang on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

Re: The Passing of Time

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

abb,

too deep for me, sorry. :-D so, let me react on the bird and the worm.

the early bird gets to eat the worm (the best argument against rising early), and the early bird gets shot by the early hunter, and the early hunter gets ambushed by the NPAs, and so on and so forth. insight: we're all part of the food chain.

i remember when we were kids, mama would say: kadugayi niyo magmata, kon mag-uwan nan cuarta, dili kamo ka-apas.

then my father, nursing a coffee cup, would say: haw mag uwan lagi nan cuarta; na haw bangkaw? :-D insight: it's all a matter of perspective!
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Re: The Passing of Time

Unread post by Alibangbang »

K-Spy,

Hagukan? :-D

Hahaha it's my unhappiness and dissatisfaction (at the workforce) that taught me to philosophized things. Don’t worry; be happy --- unless, of course, worrying makes “me” happy!

So begun thinking outside of the box, and inside the box, and about the whole idea of darn boxes! :-D Amazingly, it worked. I see things differently than I would have, had I stayed thinking within the confine of "my" box. Liberating. It sharpened my appreciation of the world and life within it. Yahoo…Eureka! There really is a GOD not that I doubt it in the first place. :-D

Here’s what went through my head as I read your post reply – the light from my monitor screen traveled into my eyes; jiggled my brain and then I had a mental perception, nah… visualization. A visual of my actual experience, running scared shitless because, not a hunter, but “an ‘imaginary’ angry dog was chasing me as I ran across the town plaza” (a fib I told Lolo Potak - - - she and I were staying at Iyo Jesus and Iya Pina’s house - - - when I came home panting. You see, I was running to avoid an encounter with a certain "someon"). K-Spy komusta na agaw si Moon, moon where is ___m___n? 8-[ :-D

As for the hunter, if he’s not perceptive enough as to the danger, or, his perception of the danger is off, he’ll stumble straight into the NPA’s hideout and well: Eat or be eaten! :-D Huh! :shock: then... all his probable prospect of seeing things in its proper perspective ruin! Then what do we do? :-k

K-Spy, exchange with you is very stimulating. :roll It’s like playing billiard. You hit the cue ball, then, it collides with the eight balls in the middle and set it in motion. Yes, you set the neurons and glia of my brain in motion.

Hoy! Saba kaw kay amo isab si Nanay an iya lamang was glamorized kay paga rhyme pa: mag-uwan nan BOWAWAN. Nah sin-o say dili maadag di alas cuatro pa… wa pa mo sawop an suga ga hagok na ako. :-D Tapos sayohi agaw ako momata but not once did I find bowawan ](*,) I got tricked, conned!! :-D An ako mga ya ponit mga dabas da na niyog pero sege dakan kay paliton sa niya. The labor wasn't in vain. Pag mata nan ako mga manghod hinglo na nan dabas. Potot sanan payan-payan dakan an ila. Sus daan e disown na isab ako ini ni Sis. Looking good raba siya nan ila reunion amo? :-D

Bangkaw…Inaay pa koman nan mga bata pa kami an front yard covered nan bermuda grass tapos ad-on mag latag nan mga puti. Ma lais-si an tumoy nan ini amodan dagom pero yaanad na seguro yadto kami kay ad-on kami (w/ kawsins) manghigda sa bongsuwan kon hapon mag kaon-kaon nan saging. Before kami mo higda amo na-ay sokayon just to be sure na waray iti ni Sonoy. Ag kami kasakitan kay kon mag dayang kono kita an ato tiyan kadabsan nan punyal/hanting gikan sa langit. Motuo kaw na i tempt fate imaginon ko na yaton na an hanting target an ako posud tapos mo bali dayon para dili kig-dan. Did the same thing kon mag sakay nan bus tapos moagi an bus sa tulay sa Buenavista balitaw kon hapit na makalahos i want the bridge to collapse... wow I was strange wasn't I ?) Kabati kaw nan inin hanting? Ag gihapon kami mang higda bisan kasakitan pero dili ma mag dayang mag takilid. If this were true, can you imagine how bloody summers would be? :-D

Alexa is turning 15 today.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess