remembering 'ya tet

Express yourself. Convey your thoughts.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya, pato

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

remembering 'ya tet

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

All of us, young and old, have lost someone dear to our heart. We had to learn in a painful and cruel fashion, that life was not permanent; that we live in a world where happiness will be replaced by sadness and our family and friends would one day be gone. This is our reality.

But there’s a strange beauty to death: it peels off the skin of flawed humanity; it erases the stains and we see with clarity the loved ones’ basic magnificence; gone are the shortcomings of their journey, and we are left with the essence of their goodness, the authenticity of their true selves.

‘Ya Tet’s tragedy left me numb. And the finality of her death made me tumble into heartfelt sadness. But the sadness soon passed and I found myself smiling in remembrance of the lady born with indefinable grace that was her signature in all of her 79 years.

She was a class act, a true icon of elegance, poise, and civility! And she always had a ready smile for everybody.

I know ‘Ya Tet from way back because aside from being relatives, she and my mother were age-mates and co-teachers at Falcon Memorial Elementary School. I remember the time in the early 80s when ‘Ya Tet and Tita Siony braved the bad roads and the threat of NPA attack just to attend my mother’s installation as Barangay Captain of Sagbayan. They were that “close.”

I called her ‘Ya Tet due to a wide age gap, but in truth we were third cousins.

When I began working in Tandag, that was when I got closer to ‘Ya Tet. She was so motherly that it was easy to warm up to her. And with her soft voice and infectious smile, you’d really wish she was your mother.

My relationship with ‘Ya Tet bloomed in full when we mounted the Circulo de Luna reunion in the 90s. It was during this time that I came to know her true persona. The moments where we shared small talks and jokes revealed to me why, after so many years, she had remained youthful. It dawned on me that she was what she was because she never lost her passion for life. For sure she had her share of frustrations, some of which we know, but she always had joie de vivre.

This may sound shallow but one reason ‘Ya Tet enjoyed my company was that I was always profuse in praising her. And sincere praises they were. She didn’t say it but the glint in her eyes told me that she loved it when I said: ay, ay kon amo pa lang kaniyo an tanan retirees nan Tago, kadayawi garo. She and Tita Siony would exchange knowing glances and the light banter would drag on until we’d turn blue from laughing.

‘Ya Tet will be remembered mostly for her great fashion sense and regal bearing. Always impeccably dressed, she was a minimalist who knew what she wanted and played it to the hilt. Straighter than a rod despite her age, she could’ve been a perfect model for a geriatric milk out to fight osteoporosis.

A year or two ago, ‘Ya Tet was rumored to have a serious medical condition that made her stay in Cebu for a while. I said a little prayer for her when I heard about it. I didn’t know she had come home to Tago until I saw her in a requiem mass I attended. I planned to evade her because I didn’t want to be in an awkward situation where I had to ask her about her condition. But when the mass ended, she came up to me and said, “Circulo, ga ampo kaw sa ako?” (Circulo was our term of endearment.)

Stunned, I nodded, saying: Am so happy to see you 'Ya Tet; as always, you look good.

It is this memory of always looking good that I want to remember ‘Ya Tet by.

"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

sughac
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

Re: remembering 'ya tet

Unread post by sughac »

K-spy ,

If Manila has Cory Aquino, she's the one for Tago. We love her so much and i know that everybody mourns her untimely passing but that smile that can melt the callous heart will linger forever..

kampanaryo_spy

sugz, you can say that again!

yangadje an FMES version nan Seagulls kabii. bibuhi kay balik tan-aw sa lagi dayon nan mga binungaw-bungaw ta nan elementary, labi na an rizal-rizalan ta ka junjun na ag mag urangag si paul kay imo sa lagi dayon puntingon an talinga haw siya an ma rizal, bisan an sabot, alima day bun-on. :-D

wara si laiden maka iban astan si emma ang-zozobrado kay barangay sa ila. si kitty isab ga text kan jun-jun na si 'yo acoy an iya representative. inpangayu-an ko si 'yo coy kabii nan authorization ni kitty ug yadto gayud, iya pagada. :-D

ikaw an waray representante.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Unread post by cordapya »

Ay ay K-Spy, :( hibawo sa kaw tingali kon uno si 'Ya Tit, 'Ya Ciony, JR & BingBing ka su-od sa amo - abo na kan Papa. Kay kon unoy request ni Papa kan Jun sa capitol iya sa gayod taga-an nan pagtagad. Especially kon parti sa ako sister na si Feling Portillo-Cabrera. And besides, sa kapanahonan pa namo, ako an permi muse nan ila basketball team. Nan pagka Provincial Secretary ni Papa, chikahan kami permi si Jun kay adto sa ako magtambayan sa Treasurer office while waiting for Papa to come down. Man sa ako mamarayig ka Jun: "Jun, siopao-way taraw, kay bagan sa gtomi na nanhinuwat kan Papa". Magpasugo dayon siya pagpapalit. Iya da ako pakan-on while doing the payroll. Bagan 7 or 8 years an amo age gap si Jun. A big brother to me. Sayang wara kami magkahimamat nan ako last na pag-uli, kay an time ko limitado dasa lagi. Sa Cebu sa isab siya mag-permi. Kay kon yakahapit ako sa Cebu for sure gakita kami kay paningoha-on ko sa na pakigkita-an ko si Mimi..pero my flight was Davao - Manila -Hongkong - USA. Hoping... na sa sunod ko pag-uli magkakita na kami. Sorry Jun :cry: :cry: If only I knew :cry:

Amo isab si 'Ya Tit & Bingbing. Bisan panihapon da na may hamok-kay na sud-an, labaway lugar na ordinaryo na panihapon, waray madumduman ni Mama/Papa pagpakuha, kodi sa 'Ya Tit, Bingbing, 'Ya Ciony/'Yo Fred & family. Amo ya-on kami ka close sa ila. Sa sunod ko uli never will I see 'Ya tit & Bingbing. :cry: :cry: :cry: K-Spy, it is hard...lisodir maghurangag kon ikaw da isa. :wink :wink I go to church & talk to GOD....and I'm relieve :-)
What is essential is invisible to the eye.

GOD doesn't need my ability, but my availability.

sughac
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

Unread post by sughac »

sin-o pay adto? sa artemio yanunga? hibawo pa ako na puede baya an rep, gapada isab garo ako.grabehi bagan ad-on ka intrega si Kano kan Paul. aduy lang-on mo si Paul na basin kay may batch na mag-black mail kaniya.wa sa kaw gayud makuha nan pictures. inday lang isab kun ok da sa ila.

kampanaryo_spy

sughac wrote:sa artemio yanunga?
wa sa kaw gayud makuha nan pictures.

sugz,

of course you already know the answer to this, right? marille was there though, both as a neighbor and artemio's rep.

nope, i didn't bring a camera because my cameras (from judstump and cordaps) are now all defective. :-D

last nite ngay-an, mangadje kami with laiden this time. hopefully emma ang-zozobrado can join us. but knowing her, i doubt. #-o

kampanaryo_spy

amo lagi, cordaps. mahayab huna-hunaon labi na haw may mga lost chances to bond, amo? pero amo sa gayud kuno yaon an kinabuhi, sa mauna lang.

Insomada
Thread Moderator/Website Benefactor

Unread post by Insomada »

Kamps, Mana C & Sug,

Being away from home, to me, mourning (for my mother-in-law) could be best observed by limiting some of my actions. Posting is one I thought. However, my intent is disrupted upon reading Kamps “Remembering Ya Tet”. Unable to contain myself, my keyboard started to sound “tak tak tak” for I have my share of good memories too of Mana Tet. I called her Mana Tet, same way she was addressed by my older siblings.

It was in the 70’s when the late Manong Bebing Falcon assumed mayorship of Tago which I guess lasted for two decades. It was also the start of my acquaintance with Mana Tet. Papa was Manong Bebing’s Municipal Secretary that time. They become good buddies as it is often said “the Secretary carries the mind of the mayor”. They were almost inseparable!

Back then, Mana Tet would sometimes come with Manong Bebing when the latter wanted to discuss something with Papa at our abode. I could fondly recall their famous green Volkswagen which we called BAO. When it's dinner time and the sound of the bao was looming, our alalay would be very quick in alerting Papa that his mate was coming. When at home they talked about office matters especially what was best for our beloved Tago.

Their office working relationship flourished that it expanded into a more personal one. They called each other Pare. Papa had become one of Iyo Bebing’s close and trusted confidant and Papa was proud of that!

One time they came to our house again bringing with them a bag of Star apples. As a young girl then, the scenario Mana Tet enthusiastically talking to mama about the Kaymitos was embedded in my mind. She said “mahamok sa god iton hatag kanamo Mare.”In return Mama asked her if she wanted to have pako which papa brought from Layog. The two women were ebulliently discussing different subjects but school matters were among the major topic as they were both teachers. While they were talking I furtively followed our alalay to the kitchen and started eating the luscious star apples. The following day constipation assaulted me. Star apple undoubtedly is my favourite fruit until today!

Another vivid recollection I had with Mana Tet was, when the Sangguniang members together with their wives danced Rigodon (?) during the town fiesta. Papa and mama were partakers too. How Mana Tet and Manong Bebing gyrated on the gym dance floor was very well in full view to the audience knowing they were the tallest and the most elegant couple among the group. Mana Tet was chic which was palatable to the sight.

It would take eons for me to enumerate my other recollections of her when I was a child. And so I’ll just deposit them in my memory bank. The most recent one however, was when she and the equally charming and beautiful Mana Siony came to Papa’s wake. Having seen Mana Tet after a long time reinforced my stance that Mana Tet defied ageing as she continued to exude elegance, charisma and her amiable smile is as ever, to me her noticeable trademark.

Goodby to you Mana Tet goodbye! By your death you left us, but by your death you enrich us with fond and indelible memories that will last in eternity.

Mana C,

Nan last time na min-uli kami for papa’s death, Kaye invited us for his bday party. Bingbing was there and my first time to see her. I was reminded of Manong Bebing as Bing2 very much resembled like her dad.

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Insomada wrote:Kamps, Mana C & Sug,

Mana C,
Nan last time na min-uli kami for papa’s death, Kaye invited us for his bday party. Bingbingwas there and my first time to see her. I was reminded of Manong Bebing as Bing2 very much resembled like her dad.

Si Ivy hasta si Bingbing suod isab sila kay mga teacher sa lagi. Maghigda-higda, mangatawa, magalamotik nan iton computer, manga-on kon uno dakan an kadumduman. Amo yadto si Bingbing ka close sa amo.

SAKTOHI kaw gayod ISOM, huslo-e ni Iyo Bibing si Bingbing . BING, YOU will be missed ... your KANDIIS & SMILE :cry:

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Re: remembering 'ya tetan

kampanaryo_spy wrote:amo lagi, cordaps. mahayab huna-hunaon labi na haw may mga lost chances to bond, amo? pero amo sa gayud kuno yaon an kinabuhi, sa mauna lang.

Right - K-Spy. Kahim pa ni RPL when the kids died: " Ning, masakit hunahuna-on an kamatayon nan mga bata ( ni Tommy & Maan), PERO mas pinakasakit palandongon an mga butang na wara ko mahimo para kanila nan buhi pa sila". :cry: :cry:

kampanaryo_spy

Re: remembering 'ya tetan

cordapya wrote: PERO mas pinakasakit palandongon an mga butang na wara ko mahimo para kanila nan buhi pa sila". :cry: :cry:

cordaps,

RPL couldn't say it better for all of us! saktuhirs!

kampanaryo_spy

insoms,

my condolences to you and sunoy. and so you're not coming home? i told dongay pareja yesterday at the requiem mass for bingbing to inform me should he go to the wake of your nanay so I can go with him.

speaking of 'ya tet, i have one memory of her that i forgot to mention in my tribute above.

weeks before bingbing was to wed kiboy, 'ya tet, along with tita siony and tita didi, went to our house to ask me personally to be the reception host. by this time i had long made it my policy not to play host to weddings, my last being that of sughac and maritess, and that was a lifetime ago. and so i begged off, knowing i would be hurting a lot of people (manong bob and mana beb luna-hendive to mention a few) whose same requests in the past i had denied.

'ya tet smiled and said, "circulo, si iya tet mo ini. balibadan mo baya ako?"

it was all she needed to say for my personal policy to fly out of the window.

Insomada

Kamps,

Thanks for the sympathy.

Yes, I’m not coming home due to multitudes of reasons. Sunoy will tell you.

Malakas gayod si anhin Mana Tet kay min fly out of the window sa an policy mo. Now you could fondly smile and feel glad you concurred to her request. Good on you to have done it.

Mana C,

Wara ako kahibawo na teacher baya anhin Bing as we didn’t had the chance to talk to her.

Oo amo lagi she really had his dad’s face and physique.

Kamingaw lagi palandungon nan kalit na panghitabo.

Binignit

Unread post by Binignit »

Didto ako sa cementeryo kaina. Mobisita gawo sa lubong ni iya Tet hasta ni iyo Jun pero adto sa baya an ila lubong sa Falcon Memorial Park. Ga sabi dakan ako. Yag kita kami ni Nick Lau hasta ni Wency didto sa lubong sin iyo Senobyo. Sa huwebes larga na isab balik sa routa. Kon mahimo pa lang gawo madugay para mag kita nan tanan mga amigo hasta nan mga bloggers, bibohi gawo. K-spy, kon tin mobag kaw lamang nan ako tawag kaina, imo gawo an libro na "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown (hard bound [pa gayud).

Insomada

Binigs,

Yaton sa kaw baya. Sus kadayaw na pagkaatol kay yaton sab si Sunoy. Sus Long pagkita gayod kamo kay talagsaon da iton na higayon. Sa Thursday isab an balik ni Sunoy pa Manila.

Hala contact him. Yadi an iya cel sa Philippines 09335486286.

Koman an lubong nan mother niya.