The Potter Phenomenon

Ideology, Theories, Laws, Ethics..etc. Let's discuss anything under the sun.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya, iCeprIncEsS

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

The Potter Phenomenon

Unread post by Alibangbang »

Bon- - - Kalain tan-awon kon zero post :-D ---I just thought --- na lon-an ko lamang :-D

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

My daughter and her friends says goodbye to their first “boy friend”.

I’m just learning how she and her friends were deep into this. They are well pleased with the ending of course but, it being the 7th and the last book of the series, they’re sad and felt left out to hang and dry.

Since school is still out for the summer, they’re busy working the phones discussing plot nuances.

As for myself, I can’t think of any other books that have captured more attention than this… from six, to six and twenty, six and thirty and to six and eighty, J.K. Rowling’s story telling of witchcraft and wizardry have captivated and enthralled people of all ages, sexes and nationalities.

As for my 12 year old, she said her all time favorite is the 5th book (The Order of the Phoenix - currently out in theater) but she revisits her favorite chapters of the entire series every now and then.

The 7th, "The Deathly Hallows" sold Saturday, July 21st at 12:01 am. My daughter’s copy was in our mailbox same day at 4:30 pm. I told her to leave it unopen till the morning, knowing she'll stay up all night to finish it.

She didn’t watch television for fear of spoilers and she refused to take calls from her friends. She woke up late Sunday morning, we went to church and around 1 pm she opened her book. As expected, she didn’t put it down until around 2:00 am the following morning. About 13 hours it took her to read it and said “.....I had to read it slow to savor the last book.”

Now she tells me 7th took over the 5th. Or in my words, she likes the 7th more than the 5th.

She still won’t part with it. She’s rereading “parts that she likes” she said.

After the last page is turned, what do other Potterphiles do next?

Because of the Harry Potter series' mind-boggling success, J.K. Rowling became richer than the Queen of England. Now, with the unprecedented record sales of the 7th book, which could trigger more sales of the previous books in the series; does this mean she could actually become twice as rich as the Queen of England??? :-D

To imagine that she wrote the first book at coffee shops to save on heating bill at home… She’s come a long, long way and I’m very, very happy for her. With all these, she has kept her cool and her head well balance between her shoulders.

Oh I wonder what else she’s got up under her sleeves....
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

iCeprIncEsS
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by iCeprIncEsS »

hmmm..i think stones will get thrown at my direction for typing this..**tabon daan hahaha!**

i am not much of a potter fan - ok maybe joey potter in dawson's creek ( :p ) it is just that witchcraft don't appeal much to me. knowing that we live in a generation where people are looking for signs and wonders, it is no surprise that harry potter has become a phenomenon.

i feel that no matter how it is sugarcoated, witchcraft is witchcraft and will always be detestable to God.

just my sentiments.

tab_lover
Certified Member
Certified Member

Unread post by tab_lover »

ice basin kita duha an mabato nganhe mag tabon daan gayud 8-[ (or tagu)..im not a fan either :-# .but yes, its success is amazing that it even captured the attention of the unbelievers..during the opening of the last series "The Deathly Hallows" last saturday, july 21st at 12:01, the Bloor and Bay areas in Toronto were closed and transformed into Hogwarts where people dressed up like the characters..it was like halloween in summer..but i refused to be part of the city's latest craze so i didn't go..but guess what..the next morning,i saw quite alot of youths reading the book in the parks, sidewalks, benches, coffeshops and everywhere.amazing!!
Last edited by tab_lover on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

atat
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Unread post by atat »

ms. ice & tab_lover,i second the motion... [-( [-( i discouraged my son not to read or watch any Potter series...
" The POWER is in your HEAD."

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by Alibangbang »

Thank you ladies for your candid opinion. :shock :shock

I was a bit apprehensive at first but, I must admit, the series grow on me.

It's fantasy novels and talks about death so when my daughter told me she wanted to read it, I decided to read it in tandem with her in case I need to realign her mind back to reality. :-D

Yes, the series is set in a wizarding world which is a FICTIONAL UNIVERSE.

It is about a fight with the EVIL wizard Lord Voldemort who killed Harry's parents as part of Voldemort's plan to take over the wizarding world.

Just finished the 7th book and in my opinion, Rowling achieved her finest moment. She left me with a finale that promised all is good. She made full circle by tying up all of the winding plots that have been strewn throughout the series. She left the world of wonders intact for “maybe” future exploration.

In Hallows Harry turned 17, marking his passage into adulthood and what should have been his final year at the wizards school, Hogwarts. Unlike the other books, Hallows is a story without textbooks, tests and pastime and where Harry sets off with his unwaveringly loyal friends, Ron and Hermione, to complete a mission given to him by Dumbledore, the late headmaster, to ultimately try and kill his arch-nemesis, the evil Lord Voldemort.

Throughout their journey, friendships are tested and emotions are pushed to the limits as Voldemort gains power and Harry flounders without answers.

Hallows focused on death, and Rowling killed off several of her well like characters but she managed to deliver the message that our lost loved ones will live on in our hearts no matter what. Wow...Human touch!!!.

Simply put… the series is about a hard fight between good and evil. In the end, good triumph and prevailed over evil. :D

My 12 year old and I endured 4,100 pages of the entire series and I must say it was fun as we disappear into another place with every page as we read …it is a kind of magic that only dreaming and books can offer.

As for the Potter movies, this is what she tells her 10 year old brother: "reading is much better than watching the movie ---there's more scope to the imagination ! ! ! "
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

otot_otot
Neophyte
Neophyte

I am a fan!

Unread post by otot_otot »

I am a big fan of HP series. I have bought and read all the books and have seen the movies in the theater and bought the DVDs when they came out. I have spent many sleepless nights on all 7 books. And my husband is an equally big fan... We fought over who gets to read the books first. On the 7th book, we agreed, he'll have it during the day and I get it at night. We finished on the same day... him in the afternoon and me at midnight.

I have read the books and would read it to my boys (only they are too young to sit through the story) When they get older, I would recommend it to them without hesitation...

Yes, the story of HP is set in a fictional world of witches and wizards but each book stresses the values of love, loyalty and friendship. Not to mention courage and bravery. Values which are important though in short supply in this day and age.

I enjoyed reading every page of the book and was sad when it ended. I agree with Alexa, the books are much better than the movies, however I watch the movies curious on how technology would give justice to the imaginary world created by JKR

JKR wrote very colorful and imaginative books. Witches and wizards are not new to children's books... They played a major role in Narnia, LOTR, they were even in disney classics like, Sleeping beauty, Cinderella...
Even in the Wizard of Oz.

HP is an excellent read. But lest we forget, harry is just a figment of JKR's very imaginative mind. :D

cocopuff
Certified Member
Certified Member
Birthday: 14 Dec 1970

Unread post by cocopuff »

I like the series of books & movies when they first came out but honestly its becoming boring, like really. It has some good values to teach to younger & older generation but I think it has reached its point wherein people would soon find the story is going nowhere. I guess it is still appealing to the younger readers as long as HP brings in the adventures even though the storylines are pretty predictable.

Ok thats just my say on HP...
"Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another." -Madonna.