DR. ANTONITA L. OROZCO IS SWU MOST OUTSTANDING ALUMNA

A biographical sketch of Tagon-ons who make a difference.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya

k_spy

DR. ANTONITA L. OROZCO IS SWU MOST OUTSTANDING ALUMNA

Unread post by k_spy »

It is with pride and honor that we congratulate Dr. Antonita "Didi" L. Orozco for being one of the most outstanding alumni of Southwestern University. The text of the plaque of recognition reads, thus:

Outstanding Alumni Award for Government Service

Antonita L. Orozco, M.D., MCH
Class 1981

A rare breed indeed, she bravely faced adversities and death and unselfishly dedicated her life and career for the upliftment of human suffering through her work as a Rural Physician and Medical Officer of Adela Serra Ty Medical Hospital, Tandag, Surigao del Sur, thereby promoting the tenets of a physician, teacher, healer and manager.

Given this 12th day of January 2006 at Waterfront, Salinas Drive, Lahug, Cebu City, Philippines.

(Signed) Allan R.Librando, MD, President,
Matias H. Aznar Memorial Medical School Alumni Asso., Foundation

(Signed) Yvonne M. Lanuza, MD, Secretary

(Signed) Luditha Lumapad, PE, MD, Treasurer

Note: Ms. Ditas L. Orozco, Dr. Didi Orozco's younger sister, received the award on her behalf.

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Unread post by cordapya »

CONGRATULATIONS, DI !!
As far as I'm concern this award has been very, very, very long past due. Dapat lang gayod - Di, amo? An imo in-agihan waray premyo na makatumbas. Kay kon ako an imo pangotan-on. "Priceless beyond value.". Pinaka "Most" "Most" "Most Outstanding" kaw gayod Di,.... you're a HERO.
What is essential is invisible to the eye.

GOD doesn't need my ability, but my availability.

k_spy

Unread post by k_spy »

Below is Dr. Didi Orozco's CV as prepared by the Awards Committee:

ANTONITA L. OROZCO, M.D., M.C.H.
Class of 1981

Dr. Antonita Orozco was born in Tago, Surigao del Sur, the eldest in the family of 3 children. She obtained her B.S. Pre-Med Degree at the Silliman University in Dumaguete City and her Doctor of Medicine from the Southwestern University, MHAM College of Medicine, Inc, in Cebu City in March 1981.

Dr. Orozco served her Post-Graduate Internship in Tago, Surigao del Sur from May 1981 to April 1982. She took the Philippine Licensure Examination for Physicians given by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) in June 1982.

Prior to the issuance of an M.D. License and while waiting for the result of the Physician Licensure Examination, all doctors-to-be had to render the six-month Post-Board Rural Health Service Program of the Department of Health. It was thus that Dr. Orozco found herself serving as a community doctor in her home province right after taking the Board Exam. On October 25, 1982 Dr. Orozco had to answer a request to do an autopsy on a man murdered by an armed rebel group in a distant mountain barangay. She boarded an only available military van as transport together with the man’s widow and her child, accompanied by the chief of police of Tago, and six soldiers. They were about 20 kms from Tago when the army van they were riding in was ambushed and strafed and riddled with bullets by the NPA, which turned out to be the same group responsible for the killing of the man the day before. Of the 10 passengers of the ill-fated vehicle only Dr. Orozco survived, but not without suffering nearly-mortal multiple gunshot wounds and lying there bleeding.

It was while she was recuperating from major surgeries for multiple wounds in Brokenshire Hospital in Davao City that she learned that she passed the licensure exam for physicians given in June 1982.

Dr. Orozco suffered spinal injuries and a fractured forehead and had to undergo craniotomy and cranioplasty. She was released from the hospital on December 18, 1982 to spend Christmas with her family in a Davao City apartment.

From 1985 to 1991 Dr. Orozco received her appointment as Rural Health Physician in Tago, Surigao del Sur, with concurrent assignment in the Technical Service Division of Surigao del Sur Provincial Health Office for 2 years

In 1991 she was granted a two-year scholarship by the Dept. of Health for studies leading to a Masters Degree in Community Health at the Ateneo de Davao which she graduated in 1993.

Following the enactment into law of the Local Government Code and the implementation of the law on Devolution of health services, she was devolved to the Province of Surigao del Sur and was assigned in Tandag (Surigao del Sur) Rural Health Unit from 1993 to 1999. Thereafter, she was detailed in the Provincial Health Office as Planning Officer from 1999 to 2000.

She was appointed in 2000, to a post she still presently holds, as Medical Officer IV of the Adela Serrat Ty Memorial Hospital in Tandag, Surigao del Sur, where she acts as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Hospital Director.

farm82557
Certified Member
Certified Member

Unread post by farm82557 »

Congratulations and Best Wishes Igso. I always admire your humanity and selflessness. The other day, I was on the phone with Aida Cardenas (from Brokenshire). She resides in Miami now. She asked about you. Now, I have the answer. Thanks k-spy.

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by Alibangbang »

CONGRATULATIONS DR. DIDI OROZCO.......

lay-ob
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Announcements

Unread post by lay-ob »

Congratulations for a well-deserved recognition and award, “Dr. Antonieta L. Orozco”!

It was beyond belief that you would still survive that catastrophic incident with multiple deadly gunshots all over your body that laid you down lying on your blood hovering between life and death; others were dead on the spot. That Chief-of-Police of Tago you were with in that van while in mission was my uncle(may he RIP). However, as a result of the craniotomy and cranioplasty that delicate motor … the power on your head was untouched and preserved, which made you still very much alive and kicking, and is still very much functional to learning and earning additional degrees and more knowledge and responsibilities fitted for the verdict being “The Most Oustanding Alumna of SWU”.

Di, I salute to your doggedness, fighting spirit and brilliant mind as I have know you were. Nothing has put you down. Uno kaha kon wa pa kaw mahitabo. You are indeed at the top of the world, sings Ray Coniff. A SURVIVOR against all odds! And indeed an Outstanding Pride of Tago! Thank God! Again, “Di, CONGRATULATIONS”!!!!!

We, Tagon-ons are happy for you. I know your Pa, Tata and Boy and your company in the van are happy for your achievements.

Thanks k_spy for always updating us.
"FAITH is daring the soul - to see what the eyes can not see"

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

mana didi is a good friend. a kindred soul actually because she also reads like there's no tomorrow.

she's simply unbelievable; more than proving the strength of her spirit, she has become a glowing testament of rebirth and triumph.

one is dwarfed simply by thinking how she had moved on from an incident that would break people of lesser stuff. that she has become a paragon of public service makes things even more extraordinary. mana didi is a rabid advocate for good governance!!! in fact she IS good governance herself! if only politicians take her cue!

tago is lucky enough that a person like mana didi comes along because not all towns can produce a hero. or in this case, a heroine.

long live mana didi.
Last edited by kampanaryo_spy on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

kampanaryo_spy

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

been thinking about this the past few days----when the next award season for tago comes along, hibawo na kita sinoy i-nominate. (thinking aloud: wasn't mana didi one of the awardees during the first balik tago in 1986?)
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-