Tsunami Alert Drills for Tago Community

Tell us your views about CURRENT issues!

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya

sigwel
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Re:Tsunami

Unread post by sigwel »

To Grabs, K-Spy, Admin and all,

I am obviously a transient visitor here since I don't log in as often as I used to, and never had a chance to drop a line or two for obvious reasons.
Anyway, I am with you all the way, but do we have the means to where we can evacuate and place our fellow Tagon-ons quickly and SAFELY? I think not just the Tagon-on but all the Surigaonon would partake in this project or should I say, I'm glad for Grab's thought for she/he is a Tagon-on... :roll ( a Tagon-on like me is sure proud of you!) And also, aside from being aware of the signs and warning of the "forthcoming" mother nature, the community must also be taught to which direction they're heading ( East obviously) to. Do we have a safe place where they can stay?Well, occurences like this is so much out of the blue and in GOd's will, I should say, yes we can be ready with all these aforemention precautions but then, we cannot always be ready when mother nature is around the corner yet pray for the most part. At least Grab's concern is extremely helpful for the most part, a true Tagon-on. And all of these info's is quite an aide to evacuate from the west to preserve precious lives.Correct me Tagon-on if I am wrong, do we have an emergency transportation in Tago just incase calamities like this occurs? Or I sh0uld have known that there's no budget/fund provided by the gov't? I remember Tago had an ambulance before. If only Pinas' budget is doing well, at least we could have maintained it just fine. Kadamo na mekaniko sa Tago, Tandag and even some places in Surigao.

My only prayer is...hinaut unta dili mag tsunami kay gusto ko permi da yaon an GOLD BAR ni Susie. Hi Sie.....wara na an mga masamok na banay ni Sigwel hehehe. ( regular customer ni Susie na mga buyag)

Ok guys, basi another month na sab ako kabalik nganhi.

Sigwel

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by Alibangbang »

kampanaryo_spy wrote:
abb,

that's correct. we should go back to basics. science actually evolves from old practices. i remember the story of Don San Victores, the owner of Aras-asan Timber Company in Aras-asan.

Don San Victores, the story went, ordered the natives of Aras-asan to get him bamboo poles that he would use to build his rest house.

"it's not the best time to gather bamboos, sir," one of the natives said.

"Why?" San Victores said.

"Because the moon is full," the native said.

"And so?"

"The buk-bok knows its way to the poles and 'infect' them."

San Victores wanted to laugh but he decided to play along.

"And so when is the best time to gather bamboos?"

"When it's 'tugidluman'," the native said.

"I understand," San Victores said, "that it's because the bukbok can't see and therefore can't get to the bamboos?"

The native nodded.

When Don San Victores returned to Manila he went directly to UP-Los Banos and told the people there the story. Then the UP-LB people went to Aras-asan and did a research.

The findings? the natives were correct though not for the right reason. It's not advisable to gather bamboos when the moon is full because their sap is sweet that they attract the buk-bok. The same sap turns bitter when it's tugidluman, making the bukbok avoid the bamboo.

the findings became seminal for other studies to be conducted, thereby helping the bamboo furniture exporters even up to now.

K-Spy,

Very interesting...

Si Lolo isab once told me a far-fetched story. Laong siya na kon bata pa an mga niyog (young coconut tree) may balatian (feelings). It’s so long ago, I can’t remember the exact time of the year na kon ato kono tang-gaan an kapon-an nan mga niyog labi na kon yaon dapit na sa may lukay, an niyog MAG BO-UD. And soon the young coconut trees will die. Kanaman dili gayod samadan an mga kapon-an labina, source of livelihood nato yaon copras. Not exactly his words… pero amo yaon an iya punto.

Me, the curious George at the time, wanted to know. Near the ricefields may mga bag-o na tanum na niyog, during one of my solitary rambles, ga da ako nan sundang and guiltlessly committed the crime thinking na a story is just a story. Hala! after a month or so, ga sugod pagka laya an lukay tapos yapatay gayod agaw an ako paga tang-gaan.

Lolo made a believer in me and thankfully didn't ask if I had something to do with it. From then on, I revered and won’t dare touch even a mature coconut tree with a knife. Truth is, yahadlok ako basin gaba-an.

One day I relayed the story and confess what I did to Tatay. An iya explanation na kon may puncture kono ad-on mo sud/agi an barang tapos they will lay their eggs inside the tree and the beetle larva will eat the soft middle part of the tree which causes the tree to eventually die. Laong si Tatay an iban gani kono ag kan-on yaon larvae ay nah… kaloud pero loaded kono nan protein

Hin baw-an mo ini???
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by Alibangbang »

SORRY GUYS INTERMISSION ININ SA TAAS

grabehirs wrote:Kspy, materials about tsunami awareness were already sent to bonsal. It's my pleasure to share wth you this relevant concern. sin-o pa say magtinabangay kundi kita da mga tagon-on.

Tidbit Info About Tsunami Awareness

What are the warning signs of a tsunami?

SHAKE
Evidence of a large undersea earthquake may be felt
prior to a tsunami by an on-going shaking of the
ground in coastal regions.

DROP
As a tsunami approaches shorelines, the sea level
may, but not always, recede/drop dramatically before
returning as a fast-moving wall of water.

ROAR
A roaring sound may precede the arrival of the
tsunami.

What do I do if there is a tsunami?

If you feel earth tremors, or see the warning signs of
a tsunami, or if you receive an official warning, then
RUN and WAIT.

RUN
Evacuate immediately to higher ground or well away
from the water’s edge. Do not go towards the water
to watch a tsunami. Tsunami reach the shore four or
five times faster than normal wind driven waves.

WAIT
Wait at the safe place for several hours or until an
appropriate official issues the ‘all clear’. The tsunami
may arrive within 30 minutes of the earthquake or
other warning sign.
The backwash of a tsunami is also dangerous. As
the large volume of water pushed onto land recedes
back towards the ocean it may carry debris and
people back to sea with it.
Stay out of the water. Even a very small tsunami
causes strong turbulence and dangerous currents.

Grabs,

Thanks for the valuable well worth disseminating info. Have asked my sis to print it and spread the word…

K-Spy,

Bagan kay an ako kadumduman na nearest high elevation yaon bud sa may “kat” tawag namo “saka”. Yaon hapit na balitaw mo liko tapos Tabon-Tabon na dayon. Dumduman ko ini kay nan una ag ako molupog iban an amo ido na si Tokoy kon mag patanum kami ngad-on sa saka. Adi agi mang laktod bagan adto sa daan sa skuylahan. Tapos kon may bandilyo nan una ma may tidal wave ad-on an amo plano na mamakwit.

On the otherside of that hill, Tabon-Tabon na bagan yaon tapos may ricefield bagan and there is another hill. It’s been so long my memory is cloudy. Tapos yanga utro nasa an “configuration” nan yaon na area bagan koman kay arangi nasa na houses so maybe the layout I see in my mind is not what it appears now.

Kamo dakan ngaton an mag himo nan quickest escape route kay an mga waray sakyanan manag gutos sa gayod.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

abb,

first things first: no, i haven't heard of that "folklore" but i believe you. this is what i meant when i said that science comes after art. modern methods of navigation built on the way the natives read the sky and the stars.

in the 60s when tsunamis were still called tidal waves (though they're two different things---or are they?), a scare enveloped Tago. In my interview, it was Iya Meling Garcia who went "house-to-house" to advise Tagon-ons to "bakwit" sa bud na imo paga laong, dapit sa kurbada nan Tabon-tabon. but most of the Tagon-ons went as far as Gamut and Cagdapao kay may bukid sa sa likod na Ronel Ariate. in fact ini na bukid tourist spot kuman nan mga Ariate kay ila in develop into a "little baguio" kay may cold spring sa astan waterfalls.

back to my story: as it turned out, it was a dud. ay, ay kapuyi magbalik gikan mamakwit laong nila. still, as you said, better safe than sorry.

in what could be a sense of deja vu, Tagon-ons went back to these sites when another tsunami scare swept Tandag and Tago early this year.

This gives me an idea now that should we craft the emergency survival plan, we'll call on the senior citizens to help in identifying potential evacuation sites.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

BONSAL
FOUNDER & ADMINISTRATOR
FOUNDER & ADMINISTRATOR
Birthday: 25 Sep 1976

Unread post by BONSAL »

k-spy, ya email ko na an Tsunami Preparedness & Awareness Info Kit. Just inform us kun uno pa an imo mga kinahanglan para sa ini na project. God bless!!!

I suggest that an Evacuation Route & Hazard Zone Signs should also be placed. Below graphics are example of Evacuation Route & Hazard Zone Signs.
Attachments
Hazard Zone Sign
Hazard Zone Sign
Tsunami_Hazard_Zone_sign.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 9735 times
Evacuation Route Sign
Evacuation Route Sign
Tsunami_Evacuation_Route_sign.jpg (16.38 KiB) Viewed 9735 times
"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow."
- ronald e. Osborn

kampanaryo_spy

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

bon,

got them all, including the two signs posted above. thanks.

i'll let you know guys if we need assistance.

good luck to all of us.
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

grabehirs
Provisional Member
Provisional Member

Unread post by grabehirs »

Deadly tsunami kills at least 15 in Solomons, toll to rise
Agence France-Presse
Last updated 10:40pm (Mla time) 04/02/2007

HONIARA -- A powerful undersea earthquake unleashed a tsunami that pounded the Solomon Islands on Monday, destroying entire villages and killing at least 15 people, with the toll expected to rise, officials said.

The wall of water triggered by the 8.0-magnitude quake -- which witnesses said was up to five meters (16.5 feet) high -- swamped towns, flattened homes, and sparked panic among residents of the impoverished South Pacific state.

"My heart goes out to all of you in this very trying time," Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare said in an address to the nation.

He warned the death toll would probably rise after rescue teams reach the stricken areas in the west of the archipelago and the true extent of the damage became known.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued a regionwide warning immediately after the quake, stretching as far as Japan, but withdrew the alert when it became clear other countries would not be seriously affected.

An earthquake off Indonesia's island of Sumatra in December 2004 spawned a tsunami that spread across the Indian Ocean, killing 220,000 people.

At least 15 people were killed in and around Gizo, the main town in Western Province and a popular tourist and diving spot about 40 kilometers (25 miles) from Monday's quake epicenter, its provincial leader said.

"Reports have come in that more than 15 people died, just around Gizo, but with the other islands I cannot tell you," premier Alex Lokopio told Radio New Zealand.

Police said they had reports of at least 14 dead, 12 in the Gizo area and two elderly men in nearby Choiseul province.

Telephone lines to the area were down, making it hard to assess the number of casualties and damage.

A helicopter and aircraft sent to assess the damage were diverted to ferry the injured to hospitals. A fuller assessment would emerge when they returned to the area Tuesday, police spokesman Mick Spinks said.

But the head of the Solomons National Disaster Council, Fred Fakari, told journalists in Honiara: "Some villages are completely wiped out."

The government's communications unit reported six bodies found floating in the sea near Gizo, hours after the shallow quake struck at 7:40 am (2040 GMT Sunday).

It said other bodies could not be retrieved because of rough seas.

The US Geological Survey reported aftershocks measuring up to 6.7 throughout Monday, including quakes of 6.2 and 6.0 on Monday evening. Geophysicists warned that more large earthquakes could be expected in the coming days.

Across the Pacific, governments from Australia to New Caledonia evacuated schools and urged coastal residents to move to higher ground, but no damage was reported.

But on Australia's east coast, panicked residents evacuated homes, hospitals, schools and beaches and fled to high ground as fears of a destructive tsunami rippled across the region.

The panic hit after a powerful, eight-magnitude earthquake struck the Solomon Islands at 7:40 am (2040 GMT Sunday), sending a tsunami smashing into nearby low-lying islands.

Lokopio said they badly needed emergency supplies for Gizo, where residents remained on a hill behind town because of aftershocks.

"What we desperately need now is water, tents and food because almost 3,000 to 4,000 people are now living on the hill at Gizo."

He said people had been surprised by the waves. "There wasn't any warning," he said. "This was a very sad thing because the warning was the earth tremors. It shook us very, very strongly and we were frightened.

"All of a sudden, the sea was rising up so all the people living around the coastal area, they ran up on the hill."

Lokopio said that most government buildings and businesses in Gizo had been destroyed as well as houses in low-lying areas.

Police said that witnesses reported waves washing up to 500 meters (yards) inland.

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Canberra had made an initial offer of up to two million dollars (159 million US) in emergency and reconstruction assistance to the Solomon Islands.

The Solomon Islands, 2,575 kilometers east of Australia, has a little over half a million people living on dozens of islands, although hundreds more are uninhabited.

It is part of the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where continental plates meet and experiences frequent volcanic and seismic activity, and a leading Australian seismologist warned of further quakes to come.

"We should be aware there is a better than 50-50 chance that there'll be another magnitude 8.0 earthquake in the Solomon Islands in the next few hours to the next few weeks," Professor Kevin McCue told the Australian Associated Press.

"This happened in 1971, 1973, 1974 and 1977, so we have a good track record of this kind of thing happening," said McCue, the director of the Australian Seismological Centre.

Uhot
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

tsunami

Unread post by Uhot »

grabehirs wrote:
Deadly tsunami kills at least 15 in Solomons, toll to rise
Agence France-Presse
Last updated 10:40pm (Mla time) 04/02/2007

HONIARA -- A powerful undersea earthquake unleashed a tsunami that pounded the Solomon Islands on Monday, destroying entire villages and killing at least 15 people, with the toll expected to rise, officials said.

The wall of water triggered by the 8.0-magnitude quake -- which witnesses said was up to five meters (16.5 feet) high -- swamped towns, flattened homes, and sparked panic among residents of the impoverished South Pacific state.

"My heart goes out to all of you in this very trying time," Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare said in an address to the nation.

He warned the death toll would probably rise after rescue teams reach the stricken areas in the west of the archipelago and the true extent of the damage became known.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued a regionwide warning immediately after the quake, stretching as far as Japan, but withdrew the alert when it became clear other countries would not be seriously affected.

An earthquake off Indonesia's island of Sumatra in December 2004 spawned a tsunami that spread across the Indian Ocean, killing 220,000 people.

At least 15 people were killed in and around Gizo, the main town in Western Province and a popular tourist and diving spot about 40 kilometers (25 miles) from Monday's quake epicenter, its provincial leader said.

"Reports have come in that more than 15 people died, just around Gizo, but with the other islands I cannot tell you," premier Alex Lokopio told Radio New Zealand.

Police said they had reports of at least 14 dead, 12 in the Gizo area and two elderly men in nearby Choiseul province.

Telephone lines to the area were down, making it hard to assess the number of casualties and damage.

A helicopter and aircraft sent to assess the damage were diverted to ferry the injured to hospitals. A fuller assessment would emerge when they returned to the area Tuesday, police spokesman Mick Spinks said.

But the head of the Solomons National Disaster Council, Fred Fakari, told journalists in Honiara: "Some villages are completely wiped out."

The government's communications unit reported six bodies found floating in the sea near Gizo, hours after the shallow quake struck at 7:40 am (2040 GMT Sunday).

It said other bodies could not be retrieved because of rough seas.

The US Geological Survey reported aftershocks measuring up to 6.7 throughout Monday, including quakes of 6.2 and 6.0 on Monday evening. Geophysicists warned that more large earthquakes could be expected in the coming days.

Across the Pacific, governments from Australia to New Caledonia evacuated schools and urged coastal residents to move to higher ground, but no damage was reported.

But on Australia's east coast, panicked residents evacuated homes, hospitals, schools and beaches and fled to high ground as fears of a destructive tsunami rippled across the region.

The panic hit after a powerful, eight-magnitude earthquake struck the Solomon Islands at 7:40 am (2040 GMT Sunday), sending a tsunami smashing into nearby low-lying islands.

Lokopio said they badly needed emergency supplies for Gizo, where residents remained on a hill behind town because of aftershocks.

"What we desperately need now is water, tents and food because almost 3,000 to 4,000 people are now living on the hill at Gizo."

He said people had been surprised by the waves. "There wasn't any warning," he said. "This was a very sad thing because the warning was the earth tremors. It shook us very, very strongly and we were frightened.

"All of a sudden, the sea was rising up so all the people living around the coastal area, they ran up on the hill."

Lokopio said that most government buildings and businesses in Gizo had been destroyed as well as houses in low-lying areas.

Police said that witnesses reported waves washing up to 500 meters (yards) inland.

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Canberra had made an initial offer of up to two million dollars (159 million US) in emergency and reconstruction assistance to the Solomon Islands.

The Solomon Islands, 2,575 kilometers east of Australia, has a little over half a million people living on dozens of islands, although hundreds more are uninhabited.

It is part of the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where continental plates meet and experiences frequent volcanic and seismic activity, and a leading Australian seismologist warned of further quakes to come.

"We should be aware there is a better than 50-50 chance that there'll be another magnitude 8.0 earthquake in the Solomon Islands in the next few hours to the next few weeks," Professor Kevin McCue told the Australian Associated Press.

"This happened in 1971, 1973, 1974 and 1977, so we have a good track record of this kind of thing happening," said McCue, the director of the Australian Seismological Centre.

BANG ... an laong ko kanimo kahapon ... in-migo da gayud. more or less within the predicted area ... salamat sa Diyos, dili kadayaw pero aton pa say kuno moabot. salamatir grabihers sa update. abtiki kaw gayud .... tankyuher!
Stop, look and listen ... "Silence is golden!"

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Unread post by cordapya »

Balitaw "HOTS...... pero kalo-oy sa Dios an Philippines. Sa una an Tsunami sa ato likod ( Indonesia) koman sa ato atobangan (front -) Solomon Island. An Pilipinas isab medyo sa sud-day da. Inkatabonan-nay da kita nan Japan sa North of us, tapus sa south isab, ya-on an New Guinea. Kakuba-e balitaw. Pero ampo da gayod sa Dios na makagagahum sa tanan. :wink :wink :wink
What is essential is invisible to the eye.

GOD doesn't need my ability, but my availability.