THE KITE RUNNER by Khaled Hosseini

Things you do at your leisure. Arts and crafts, pets and collections etc.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya, Binignit

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by Alibangbang »

K-Spy,

Thanks for the link. And mesmerizing.

From the book, I imagined the pomegranate tree to be at least 30 ft. high.

11/2 an limited release date ngadi kinon-o ngaton? Basin una pa kamo.

Khalid Abdalla is cute. 8-[
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

abb,

ma una kaw pag tan-aw.

kami bagan malabo kay basin kumprahon nan mga afghans an tanan pirated DVDs para way makakita. hahaha joke.

can't wait to watch it.

by the way, haven't started with A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS yet. gly said she likes TKR more than A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS. what about you?
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

K-Spy,

Sege lamang kay e preorder kon dvd sa Amazon. Ag sa yaon sila mag email kon ready na sila mo take nan order for the DVD.

I'm with Gly. Without a doubt TKR ako. TKR I can read over and over again... galisod ako pag tapos nan "1000...." kay hibawo nakaw I'm "for women" so mo libantar ako kon kasobrahan pag daug-daug.

Some scenes and narrations were hard for me to swallow. Left a bitter taste in my mouth. Few times, I had to sigh out loud, moan, put the book down, walk away from it and go listen to Mozart and Vivaldi 8-[ You will understand why when you read the book.

Tell you what, if I really love the book I shun the movie adaptation kay almost always it ruins it for me. To this day I haven't seen the "Memoirs of A Geisha". But I'll make an exception for TKR. I'll see it the first day it opens. :-D

Tell me what you think about "1000 Splendid Suns" I need to hear from a man's POV. :-D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

badung
Website Benefactor
Website Benefactor
Birthday: 29 Jan 1947

Re: THE KITE RUNNER by Khaled Hosseini

Unread post by badung »

K_spy and all,

Hi, I had the chance to watch the movie The Kite Runner last Friday night. At first I thought that I shouldn't let any of our kids watch it, too, because of the rape scene that I was expecting to see. There was a rape scene, yes, but it was not as vivid as it was told in the novel. Even our daughter didn't get it; i had to tell her that it was a rape scene. And she understood when she saw drops of blood on the path that Hassan walked on.

When I was reading the novel, I was crying a lot. But watching the movie is a different thing esp. because I had read the story- I was waiting to see how it was going to unfold in the big screen. And I was not satisfied with the first half of the movie. I was expecting a really difficult scene for Baba when Ali decided to leave with Hassan after Amir pretended to lose his new watch and blamed it on Hassan. It was a simple parting between the two.

When Amir, however, was already a grown-up, he was affecting me. My tears started rolling down my cheeks when I saw him with his dad at the hospital. I think you would understand why I can relate to this particular scene eventhough I don't really see myself as an anti-hero. Go watch the movie. I'll stop here because my lunch break is up.

kampanaryo_spy

bads,

maybe it was best for the movie. of course we know that pulp fiction and movies are two different genres and we only frustrate ourselves if we expect a 100% faithful translation of TKR.

wish you read annie proulx's essay on what she went through when her masterpiece, THE BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (Palibat-libat sent me the book complete with screenplay and essays), was translated to the silver screen by Ang Lee. She felt betrayed at first and haggled for ang lee to be faithful to the book, right down to where she placed the story's tension. she even cried. but ang lee was adamant in placing it towards the film's end. when eventually annie proulx saw the final cut, she admitted that Ang Lee was right. And she concluded beautifully by saying that when your story gets filmed, it ceases to be your story because it becomes the director's film.

need i say more? but still, i wanna watch the movie. as to when, your guess is as good as mine. paging abb. :-D
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

badung
Website Benefactor
Website Benefactor

Unread post by badung »

k_spy,

wow, you're back. right, there will always be a difference because there are many ways of expressing something. reading the book and watching the film allowed me to see the results of man's creativity, which i believe, is unlimited.

recently, i've watched one of kevin kline's movies: life as a house. then i bought kevin's "the emperor's club". i think i know why you like kevin kline. and oh, two years ago i watched his movie with steve martin, yes, "the pink panther." that was funny.

i also did watch just last sunday night, "an unfinished life", and another movie, "in the valley of elah." the last one reminds me of my brother, tata, not because he went to war or something, but because in one instance he was telling me something i refused to take seriously. it was as if he wanted to run away from where he was before it was too late. it was sad because he was gone and we never got to say goodbye.

btw, it's nice to know you toured Singapore, Malaysia, etc. please share some more of your pictures. thanks so much.

kampanaryo_spy

bads,

i'm so happy to know you've seen some of the films i like very, very much. Life as a House may seem simple on the surface but it really has loads of undertones and, as the title suggests, it's a life metaphor.

Ahhh, but it's The Emperor's Club that I so "heart." Watching Kevin Kline in this movie makes it easy to understand why Phoebe Cates fell for him and became his wife. For me, The Emperor's Club is up there with Robin William's Dead Poets' Society. Try watching the film and see what i mean.

Did you say An Unfinished Life? my goodness!!! it's one helluvah good movie! Amor had sent Laiden the DVD which i borrowed eons ago and haven't returned nyahahaha....i lost count of the number of times i had watched it. i adore the way robert redford holds on to his angst. and every time he visits the tomb of his son, my heart bleeds. and if the friendship of robert redford and morgan freeeman is not touchingly sweet, then i don't know what is.

what i like also about the film is the way it makes redford confront his demons and be healed emotionally by an innocent girl. but i just wished J Lo's role was given to an actress that could hold a candle to redford and freeman's thespic intensity.

amo ini na klase na mga sine bads an ganahan ko; yaon manag istorya da hangtud mahuman. :-D

i'm done with grisham's Playing for Pizza. it's an easy read about a quarterback who hits the gutter and bounces back. i had a marvelous lesson on everything italian: why parmesan cheese is called parmesan cheese, theater (!!!), how italians dine and wine, small cars and even smaller parkings, must-visit vacation sites, and of course pizza among other things. though i had to swim through a lot of football terms, i feel i'm just about ready for the super bowl in california next year :-D (a carolinian friend has some tickets ready :roll )

all told, i'm a sucker for this kind of story, reason why Seabiscuit is another favorite film.

hayyy, what's life sans movies and books?

badung
Website Benefactor
Website Benefactor

Unread post by badung »

hi k_spy,

i like the movie, "an unfinished life." i was crying silently while watching it. i can understand why robert redford was trapped in his relationship with his son. the absence of other members of his family made his life revolve around him and his memories of his son. but it's amazing how robert redford was able to make good of the life he was living. taking care of morgan freeman gave him a sense of purpose. and choosing to protect his daughter-in-law and being grandpa to his only granddaughter were just valid reasons to move on.

yep, what is life without movies and books? i don't even know how to play cards. ;)

kampanaryo_spy

badung wrote:hi k_spy,
yep, what is life without movies and books? i don't even know how to play cards. ;)

at least i'm better off because not only can i play cards, i can read them as well. :-D

iCeprIncEsS
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by iCeprIncEsS »

kampanaryo_spy wrote:

amo ini na klase na mga sine bads an ganahan ko; yaon manag istorya da hangtud mahuman. :-D

k-spy, u must like julie delpy and ethan hawke's before sunrise and before sunset. just beautiful. watching the movie is almost like intruding into the intimacy of two carefree strangers in the former and into individuals who have grown and matured but their electrifying connection has remained the same.

i heard julie delpy's two days in paris also went along the tradition of the two movies but i haven't seen it yet.
**http://habitat.org.au/**

kampanaryo_spy

iCeprIncEsS wrote:
k-spy, u must like julie delpy and ethan hawke's before sunrise and before sunset.

ice,

mismo! hangtud kuman haw mag meeting kami sa regional office sa butuan, mag gayud namo kalakbitan nan ako duha ka kindred souls ngadto yaon na mga sine.

on top of the two films being very good, what fascinates me is that nine years after Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy paired off in Before Sunrise, they reprised their roles in Before Sunset. wow, i could almost hear the make up artist sigh from relief of being spared from thinking of how Ethan and Julie would look nine years later when they met again in Paris.

films like these are what really make life beautiful.

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

kampanaryo_spy wrote:
badung wrote:hi k_spy,

at least i'm better off because not only can i play cards, i can read them as well. :-D
K-Spy,

TAROT? 8-[ :-D

ranz_ikov
Master Blogger
Master Blogger
Birthday: 08 Feb 1983

Unread post by ranz_ikov »

i never imagined i can relate to this topic or thread because it something like a book and reading a novel is not my forte because it makes me feel dizzy when im reading it hahahaha but i loved books but not that one. One day i was cleaning my stuff in my room and eventually i found a CD in a corner untitled just like a blank CD. after cleaning almost halfday it suddenly hit my attention to open that untitled CD, i tried it first in PC and yes its a DVD titled "KITE RUNNER" im not contented the resolution appearing to my pc, so i qiuckly transfer to dvd player and to TV and feel much contented, and even im tired i didn't even feel asleep knowingly the story is so interesting... i thought the movie will run boring maybe its because of the scenes captured in arab places and the actors are not famous,,, but im wrong. they acted very well they portray their role very realistic and the movie is so great very very much inspiring.... i give credits to the author, you better watch it... 5 thumbs up... hahaha, parang gusto k n magbasa ng gnung story sa books haha...