Tagon-on USA speeches - Virginia Reunion 2005

For Tagon-ons in USA matters, you may post it here...

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya, sigwel

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Tagon-on USA speeches - Virginia Reunion 2005

Unread post by cordapya »

CONGRESSMAN PROSPERO PICHAY, JR - SPEECH

(Greetings)

Rrunions are usually abuzz with endless kunustahan, eager to catch up on everybody else's life. And I am sure most of you, especially those who have been away for several years, are equally, if not more excited about news back in the home front.

Kumusta na ang Pilipinas?

Unbeknownst to most people, the country's economy, despite some encountered blockades, is in fact picking up speed since the 1997 financial crisis. Among the strong indicators are our expanding GDP, increasing overseas Filipinos worker's (OFW) remittances, reported budget surplus, growth of exports, tourism growth, the International Monetary Fund's report of improving investor sentiments, and the positive outlook given us by credit rating institutions.

Our Gross Domestic Product contunually expanded for the last few years, peaking at around 6.1% in 2004, the strongest since the economy registered its last peak growth of 5.8% in 1996.

Recently, we have also enjoyed a boost in our contry's dollar reserves and surplus in our balance of payments due to the remittances from our overseas Filipino workers coursed through the banking channels were reported to climb anew, pushing the total amount in the first four months of 2005 up by a hefty 17.2% to $3.1 billion. According to the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, for April alone, the remittances sustained a double-digit growth trend with $790 million in inflows, higher by 19.1% from a year earlier.

The first quarter of the year also brought in other good news. Last April, the government's revenues exceeded its expenditures by P3.3 billion, thus posting a budget surplus, said to be the first monthly surplus in four years. Moreover, for the same month, our exports grew by 8.8% year-on-year to $3.23 billion from $2.97 billion.

Our tourism industry, which should have long been thriving given out pristine natural resources, is now finally on an upbeat track, with 852,583 international arrivals recorded from January to April, equivalent to a 10.5% growth from the same period last year.

And lastly, since the enactment of the Value Added Tax (VAT), international credit rating and financial institutions have given rosier coutlooks on the economy. Fitch Ratings, for example, raised its outlook on the Philippines' credit rating to stable from negative. Morgan Stanley, an investment bank, and even the International Monetary Fund have also given positive stance on the economy, forecasting more investments next year as a result of VAT, other pending measures to improve the fiscal condition, and higher government spending on social services and infrastructure.

Some weeks ago, all these positive developments almost came to a stanstill when unsubstantiated accusations were hurled in all directions against the first family and trhe administration. But as proof of our strong macroeconomic fundamentals, the economy, although a bit shaken, is holding on despite the political ruckus.

However, we can no longer afford instability both at the political and economic fronts to halt our take off toward a progressive Philippines. Every folly, both politically and otherwise, is a step away from our envisioned dream, with the frustrating consequences of wasted time, potentials, and resources.

Hence, despite how mightily the govenment tries, we're still having a hard time getting our of the quagmire we are in. And we can only wistfully sigh and marvel at the efficiency of institutions in other countries, most especially in the United States of America. We wish the same for the Philippines - an incorrupt govenment, politically mature leaders, efficient social sevices and infrastructure, and many more. But wishes and complaints will get us nowhere. Actions will.

If you truly want to help your motherland, you can start with the millions of Filipino youth dreaming of good education, thousands of Filipino families longing for better homes, and even with the hundreds of hospitals direly in need of medicines and equipment.

As shown by our fellow Surigaonons through the Physicians for Peace, the miles separating Filipinos abroad from their homeland do not exempt nor hinder them from partaking in the solution to its problems. And I hope such desire to help will always be aflame - perpetually ready to help steer the country to economic prosperity, and support social and infrastructure undertakings, by harnessing the benefits of living and working abroad through investments, donations, and medical missions.

In parting, I would kike to assure you that under the stewardship of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, we are earnest, committed, and unswerving as ever in uplifting the quality of life of our fellowmen. May you be one with us in realizing that goal. Let us remember that only Filipinos, regadless of where they are, can help bring back the glory to their beloved nation.

Mabuhay and mga Tagon-ons!
What is essential is invisible to the eye.

GOD doesn't need my ability, but my availability.

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

MRS. EMMA LUNA-CERALDE (OUTGOING PRESIDENT OF THE TAGON-ONS IN USA )CLOSING REMARKS
REUNION 2005 VIRGINIA USA

MY FELLOW TAGON-ONS IN AMERICA,

OUR 2005 REUNION IS DRAWING NEAR TO A CLOSE, BUT THE HUGE AND OVERWHELMING SUCCESS LINGERS IN OUR HEARTS AND MIND.

WE HAVE EACH OTHER TO THANK FOR, OF COURSE. BUT THIS EVENT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE WITHOUT THE HARD WORK, DEDICATION, AND SHEER INVENTIVENESS OF THE MONTEROS HERE IN THE STATE OF VIRGINIA.
TO YOU WE SALUTE!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE THE STARS THIS EVENING.

THE KEY TO HAPPINESS IS SHARING DREAMS, SHARING HOPES, MEMORIES AND MOMENTS. WHEN CERTAIN MOMENTS ARRIVE, WHEN WE KNOW THINGS HAVE HAPPENED JUST RIGHT, THEN IT IS TIME TO CELEBRATE AND ENJOY THE GREAT FEELING OF SUCCESS IS MAKING THESE DREAMS AND MOMENTS COME TRUE.

I AM SO THRILLED TO SEE YOU ALL HERE, INFACT, I KNOW WE ARE ALL THRILLED TO SEE EACH OTHER. THIS IS THE BLESSING OF REUNION. A RARE TREAT TO BRING US ALL TOGETHER AND CELEBRATE THE GOOD TIMES.

HOWEVER, NO MATTER HOW LUCKY WE ARE TO BE HERE, WE SHOULD NOT FORGET OUR FELLOW TAGON-ONS BACK HOME IN OUR OWN TAGO. THOUGH SEPARATED BY TIME AND SPACE, WE SHOULD ALWAYS BE THERE BY SUPPORTING OUR ORGANIZATION'S PROJECTS FOR THEIR BENEFITS, WHOLEHEARTEDLY, PHYSICALLY, MATERIALLY AND MOST OF ALL FINANCIALLY.

FOR INDEED WE ARE A CLOSE-KNIT PEOPLE WHO NEVER LET EACH OTHER DOWN.

THANK YOU, AND ENJOY THE EVENING.

Unread post by Guest »

cordaps,

good to hear from you that the chesapeake reunion was a resounding success.

saw all the pics and, as usual, you were smashing. you looked a million a dollars and i can see from here that the bag (bagette actually) was worth at least a king's ransom! i have to admit that you haven't lost the touch. :)

k_spy

Binignit
Thread Moderator/Website Benefactor
Thread Moderator/Website Benefactor

Unread post by Binignit »

Balitaw kurdaps, kinahanglan mag andam na kita para sa 2007.I pm naa sa ako an imo email.

cordapya
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Binignit wrote:Balitaw kurdaps, kinahanglan mag andam na kita para sa 2007.I pm naa sa ako an imo email.

BINIGNIT:

Pahihog check na an imo PM. Sin-o kaw taraw. PM da lang kanako. okidoki? whoever you are - regards. :roll: :roll: