Express yourself. Convey your thoughts.

Moderators: kampanaryo_spy, cordapya, pato

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Where moth and rust destroy. . .

Unread post by Alibangbang »

Hi Guys,

My second job here in the US back in the early 80s, was with Koor Industries, one of the most prominent holding companies in Israel at the time (they even had an office in the Philippines). At Koor, I’ve developed strong lasting friendships, among them, is Oznat Tamir, who, like me, have moved on, no longer connected with Koor. She’s freelancing here and there and travelling back and forth. But, whenever she’s in the big apple, a phone call, followed by a quick grab of lunch is always in order.

“How’s Milton (her dog)?” “How’s Matilda (her cat)?” “And what’s this I read that Israelis are slacking in having babies and soon in danger of being out numbered by Palestinians? You guys get on with it, you can't be out numbered! What will happen to the promise land then?” This, our usual banter, then, Oznat turned serious and related how her mother’s cousin, threw away close to 1 million dollars of her (Oznat’s) great aunt’s savings. My jaw dropped. And today, to my amazement, CNN pick up the story.

By Shira Medding
CNN
JERUSALEM (CNN) -- It was supposed to be a pleasant surprise, but turned into the shock of a lifetime.

A woman in Tel Aviv, Israel, gave her elderly mother a new mattress as a surprise gift, throwing out the old tattered bed her mother had slept on for decades. The gesture ended up bankrupting Annat's mother, who had stuffed her savings of nearly $1 million inside her old bed for decades, Annat told Israel Army Radio.
A massive search is under way at the city dump, where security has been beefed up to keep out treasure-seekers who have heard Annat's story in Israeli media.
Annat, who did not want to reveal the rest of her name, told Israel Army Radio that she woke up early Sunday to get a good deal on a new mattress as a surprise for her mother.

She fell asleep that night, exhausted after lugging up the new mattress and hauling down the old one to be taken out with the trash.
When her mother realized the next day what her daughter had done, she told her that she had been using the mattress to stash away her life savings and had nearly $1 million padding the inside of the worn-out mattress.

Annat ran downstairs, but it was too late. The garbage truck had already taken away the money-stuffed mattress.

Annat alerted the two major dump sites in the Israeli city in an effort to locate the bed, but so far she has had no luck. Yitchak Burba, one of the dump site managers, told Army Radio that he and his men are working relentlessly to try to help Annat find the million-dollar mattress among the tons of garbage at the landfill.
The publicity has triggered a wave of people also trying to find the mattress and its contents for themselves. Burba has increased security around the dump to keep them out.

Annat told Army Radio that when her mother realized her queen-sized bank had been tossed, she told her to "'leave it.'"

"'The heart is crying but you know we could have been in a car accident or had a terminal disease,'" Annat said her mother told her.
Annat is also taking the situation in stride.

"It's a very, very sad story but I've been through worse," she told Army Radio. "It's a matter of proportions in life ... people need to know how to accept the good and the bad in life."

Then in spite, she became animated that as I listened I wanted so badly to laugh. When she relented, I asked if she wanted to hear about Ng Fe’s story.

Nang Fe. Inin si Nang Fe sa una ga trabaho sa Capitolyo sa Cebu. Before she marry her high school sweetheart, Noy David, an iya suweldo adto sa iya mga hinologan na mga alahas kay style sa yaon sa mga opisina an mga hulogan… ma chorizo, ma RTW (clothes) ma daing na dangit, etcetera.
Madamo an ya accumulate ni Ng Fe na mga alahas kay hangtod nan didi na sila alahas sa gihapon an iya bisyo kay investment lagi kono (puydi ma prinda kon mag ka lisodlisod) but the real reason, para iya ibilin sa iya mga anak ko wara na siya.

Waray salig ni Ng Fe sa ila 5th floor apartment sa Elmhurst, Queens kay madamo sa lagi na mga rowdy Puerto Rican nan una amo na ga rent siya nan safety deposit box sa bangko. Long story short, many, many years later, kaslon na si Winnie (second daughter nila) iya paga sugo si Noy David pag koha nan iya mga alahas sa bangko para mag pili siya kon unoy iya isukbot. When done, she packed her jewels, wrapped them in plastic haw sali ibutang sa ilawom nan basurahan sa banyo where she thought would be safe, kay last place robbers would check if, God forbid, robbers were to rob them.

Looking splendid as mother of the bride, dalikakas na sila para simbahan. Noy David, in his tuxedo, who has a habit of emptying garbage cans before leaving the house, did his routine and soon all garbage were down the chute into the incinerator. Off they went their merry way via limo to church and then to the reception at Miller Place Inn in Long Island’s north shore. Laktod tungod nan yahitabo sa mga alahas hapit gayod sila Nang Fe and Noy David mag divorce. Thank God, they came to their senses before it was too late. It was a close call but thankfully, they lived to celebrate their 64th wedding anniversary. God rest their souls.

Sug,

Uno adto? Bagan Matt 6:19-21 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also". :-D

SHALOM ALEICHEM (peace to you)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

sughac
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

Re: Where moth and rust destroy. . .

Unread post by sughac »

ABB,

I'VE GOT A GOOSE BUMPS !!! AND THIS BEGS A MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION , WHERE DO WE INVEST ?

kampanaryo_spy
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR
CO-FOUNDER & SENIOR EDITOR

Unread post by kampanaryo_spy »

for creating a prototype in Silas Marner, George Eliot is to be blamed for all this! :badgrin:

(indyGirl and starbucks have a similar story to tell when indyGirl's mother died.)
"Most claims of originality are testimony to ignorance and most claims of magic are testimony to hubris." -James March-

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

K-Spy,

Very erudite I’m impressed. :roll

If anything, George Eliot's (aka Mary Anne Evans) Silas should give Annat’s family a glimmer of hope because in the end his gold was found and returned. :-D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter... don't mind and those that mind... don't matter." Dr. Suess

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

sughac wrote:ABB,

I'VE GOT A GOOSE BUMPS !!! AND THIS BEGS A MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION , WHERE DO WE INVEST ?
Sug,

To what FAITH dictates in our conscience. :-D

pato
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by pato »

hi mana abb,

very nice story to ponder. tnx 4 sharing. ato dakan iderecho an Matt 6:25-34 and may i encourage everybody to please read it.

oso-os
Certified Member
Certified Member
Birthday: 03 Jul 1977

Unread post by oso-os »

aduy taraw si pato min andar nasa isab...madayaw ad-on kun permi kaw ga andar para malingaw kita.....na uno anhin rumor pats na ga hibi kaw sa kasal? an batch 94 raba mahilig managhibi basta kasal.....inday lamang inin si Bonsal kay wara sa ako ngadto...hano bon?

BONSAL
FOUNDER & ADMINISTRATOR
FOUNDER & ADMINISTRATOR
Birthday: 25 Sep 1976

Unread post by BONSAL »

oso-os wrote:aduy taraw si pato min andar nasa isab...madayaw ad-on kun permi kaw ga andar para malingaw kita.....na uno anhin rumor pats na ga hibi kaw sa kasal? an batch 94 raba mahilig managhibi basta kasal.....inday lamang inin si Bonsal kay wara sa ako ngadto...hano bon?
os, wara sab ako ngadto pero amo lagi kuno an balita. pasagdi lamang iton kun ga hibi iton si pato kay unhon sa gayud nato na pagamingaw sa iton otaw. balitaw amo? talent kay gayud yaon nan batch'94 magdayun taraw manag hibi kun kaslon. basta an ako pramis kan pato pagsiya na an kaslon. regalo ko sa iya an honeymoon package sa Hidden Island Resort. :wink :wink :wink

Adoy Mana Abb pasayloa kami kay bagan OT kami.
"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow."
- ronald e. Osborn

pato
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by pato »

oso-os/Bon:

Abay kamo pangintriga kay kasakitan kay kita nganhi ni mana Abb.

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

:-D :-D :-D Bah, masakit baya na dili sa kon amoy tag-iya. Sege gud para bibo. :-D

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

BONSAL wrote:
oso-os wrote:aduy taraw si pato min andar nasa isab...madayaw ad-on kun permi kaw ga andar para malingaw kita.....na uno anhin rumor pats na ga hibi kaw sa kasal? an batch 94 raba mahilig managhibi basta kasal.....inday lamang inin si Bonsal kay wara sa ako ngadto...hano bon?
os, wara sab ako ngadto pero amo lagi kuno an balita. pasagdi lamang iton kun ga hibi iton si pato kay unhon sa gayud nato na pagamingaw sa iton otaw. balitaw amo? talent kay gayud yaon nan batch'94 magdayun taraw manag hibi kun kaslon. basta an ako pramis kan pato pagsiya na an kaslon. regalo ko sa iya an honeymoon package sa Hidden Island Resort. :wink :wink :wink

Oso-os/Bon, :-k ..… it takes courage for a man to show emotion. Showing emotion is not a sign of weakness but, it’s to break free from the emotional tyranny of masculinity!!! =P~ Real, confident, mature men don’t bottle and conceal their feelings - - - they show it 8) . Diba Pats? And men of batch 94? :-D peace guys....

Aduy Pats, ayaw na pag dugaya. :) Inin offer ni Admin sa HIR super generous gayud with capital S and capital G. Hala na...

Balitaw Pats on a more serious note: Salamati gayod sa Matt 6:25-34. I needed it on a day like today when the simplest of things becomes a bone of contention between departments. I lost focus. ](*,) ](*,) Salamati gayud Pats perfect timing. Hmmm… :-k are you an instrument of the Holy Spirit? Thanks again very much. Matt. 6:25-34 helped me get through an otherwise unbearable day.

pato
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by pato »

Alibangbang wrote:
BONSAL wrote:

Oso-os/Bon, :-k ..… it takes courage for a man to show emotion. Showing emotion is not a sign of weakness but, it’s to break free from the emotional tyranny of masculinity!!! =P~ Real, confident, mature men don’t bottle and conceal their feelings - - - they show it 8) . Diba Pats? And men of batch 94? :-D peace guys....

Aduy Pats, ayaw na pag dugaya. :) Inin offer ni Admin sa HIR super generous gayud with capital S and capital G. Hala na...

Balitaw Pats on a more serious note: Salamati gayod sa Matt 6:25-34. I needed it on a day like today when the simplest of things becomes a bone of contention between departments. I lost focus. ](*,) ](*,) Salamati gayud Pats perfect timing. Hmmm… :-k are you an instrument of the Holy Spirit? Thanks again very much. Matt. 6:25-34 helped me get through an otherwise unbearable day.
Amo lagi, kay basi ma utro hinoon an huna2 ni ADMIN pero, sige lang kay you are my first, special invited guests on my list sa adlaw nan yaon.

Dili isab siguro basi ingka taymingan da lang.

BONSAL
FOUNDER & ADMINISTRATOR
FOUNDER & ADMINISTRATOR
Birthday: 25 Sep 1976

Unread post by BONSAL »

Pats, may expiration ra ba yaon ako offer sa imo. kinahanglan within 360 days an kasal para ma avail mo. hehehe. balitaw, take your time. you're a good man and you deserve the best. sooner or later moabot da yaon siya sa imo. laong pa sa kanta "save the best for last". :-)
"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow."
- ronald e. Osborn

Alibangbang
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

BONSAL wrote:Pats, may expiration ra ba yaon ako offer sa imo. kinahanglan within 360 days an kasal para ma avail mo. hehehe. balitaw, take your time. you're a good man and you deserve the best. sooner or later moabot da yaon siya sa imo. laong pa sa kanta "save the best for last". :-)
Pats,

Deeply touched and honored. Thank you. Ayay maka hibi sa isab kita. Sege paabot ako ha?

Sakto inin si Admin.

Somewhere out there is someone very special that's meant for you kay laong sab nan kanta: "True believers (in love) always find each other". Will pray that you'll find each other soon if you haven't yet. Basin yaon na pero secret? :-)

Bantay kay abi mo, this will usually happen when you least expect it. :) Was happily poised for a life of spinsterhood when hubby came along. Who would have known? :-D

Take care...

pato
Thread Moderator
Thread Moderator

Unread post by pato »

Alibangbang wrote:
BONSAL wrote:Pats, may expiration ra ba yaon ako offer sa imo. kinahanglan within 360 days an kasal para ma avail mo. hehehe. balitaw, take your time. you're a good man and you deserve the best. sooner or later moabot da yaon siya sa imo. laong pa sa kanta "save the best for last". :-)
Pats,

Deeply touched and honored. Thank you. Ayay maka hibi sa isab kita. Sege paabot ako ha?

Sakto inin si Admin.

Somewhere out there is someone very special that's meant for you kay laong sab nan kanta: "True believers (in love) always find each other". Will pray that you'll find each other soon if you haven't yet. Basin yaon na pero secret? :-)

Bantay kay abi mo, this will usually happen when you least expect it. :) Was happily poised for a life of spinsterhood when hubby came along. Who would have known? :-D

Take care...
bon/mana abb: